2003 Blaster Idles no rev, lots of smoke

Hey fellow blaster owners. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine dropped off this blaster someone gave to him with this issue. It starts on first kick, kinda idles but wont rev. It doesn't sound like its firing every time it should. I've replaced just about everything on it. As far as I know, the top end was rebuilt and bored .20 over, no big deal. Piston is brand new and is a Weisco .20 over PN:573M06650 (pic uploaded). There is no airbox cover on this quad, not yet at least.

What I DID do:
Clean and rebuild carb to stock
Installed Boyesen 2 Stage power reeds since that usually causes 2 strokes to act up.
New intake gaskets
Installed 3 different plugs
Tried 3 coils and CDIs
Tried 2 wire harnesses
I did TORS and Parking brake delete (using tutorials from this site) and the oil injector delete was already done when I got it. I cleaned up the wiring.
Replaced both crank seals (flywheel side was leaking but I always change both seals when I do engine work).
Pulled head and checked gasket, piston and cylinder. All good and seem to be brand new (no carbon)
Removed and inspected expansion chamber and muffler (FMF fatboy or something like that)
Adjusted timing to the best of what I could. The stator is not stock and probably some junk one.
Disconnected 2 of the 5 wires coming from the stator, White/Red and Black. The engine stays running since these are CHARGE and I think GROUND? I have disconnected the remaining 3 one at a time and the engine dies out.

What I have to do:
Leak down test (waiting for kit)
Check base gasket
Continuity test each coil in the stator (waiting on new meter)
Refill clutch case with fluid
Compression test (waiting on new tester)

Piston:
View attachment 14265

Stator:
View attachment 14266
Not sure what this was, it was there when I got it.
View attachment 14267

So having said all that, I have run it very briefly (2-3 seconds) without the exhaust connected thinking the expansion chamber and/or muffler were blocked my something. 2 cycle EZGO golf cart mufflers were notorious for clogging and causing the cart to run like crap. I have shorted out the parking brake wire to ground and the engine dies. At this point there are only a few more tests to complete. So far I have not found any answers or made any improvement to the idle. I am uploading a video right now and should be live within a few mins of this post so you can see and hear what its doing. The link is:

I will post more information as I continue to test. Remember, I got this quad this way, I've only tried to replace things I know wear out or could cause problems. I want to get this running the way its supposed to then I will deal with placement or components.

I work on golf carts for a living and have fixed similar problems but this one has me stumped. I would appreciate any help you guys/gals can provide.
It sounds like the main jet is way too big lol!.... Something is causing it to run very rich. ...dont forget to check your reeds too. Carb float level? Is gas over flowing into the crank case? Just want to make sure....is the arrow on the piston facing the exhaust port? Dont mean to patronize......just wondering.

Last edited:
Can you feel air coming out of the case vent tube or the oil fill hole? I'm thinking tranny fluid leaking into the crankcase. I am no expert by far though.