2002 blaster has spark and compression wont start

tomster906

Aug 27, 2011
East Haven, CT
As title states i have a 2002 blaster bored 30 over slip on filter air lid off and jetted to 340 it ran great now all the sudden it stopped working it gets gas to the bowl just wont to the engine spray starter fluid in it start then dies any ideas?

Do you have an aftermarket pipe as #340 for the main seems pretty big for your mods stated.

Maybe the large main jet has been masking an air leak for a while.

What is the compression reading?

cleaned the carb like 15 times if i spray starter fluid in it starts up as fas as numbers go on the compression not sure i have a pro circuit slip on a uni filter no lid and bored .30 over would it really not start cuz of a leak or reeds but why would it start with the fluid??? and i had a 360 on it but changed it to see if thats why it wouldnt start

Reeds and or air leaks will stop it starting.

Starter fluid is a very volitile mixture and will usually start a motor with serious problems.

I would lay a penny to a pinch of poop, that you could have an air leak or a broken reed.

ok i will check the reeds then do a leak test and if im trying to start it without the airbox it will still start?

With no airbox/filter in line the mixture will be too lean, and if you have an air leak, way too lean, not a great idea to start it that way.:(

ok so ill give you guys the whole story what originally happened was i started the quad let it warm up for about 5 mins took it down the street hit 5th (i was only about half throttle the whole time) then i heard a loud pop noise quad shut off. i tried starting it again the kick start lever would not move so i pushed it home then the next day the kick start lever was freed up again. The reeds are fine no problems in that area carb is clean gets spark has compression i just never did a compression test and like i said it seems to be not getting gas unless i blew the topend???

so if it looks bad do i need a whole top end or just a piston and rings?:(

If you see much more than scuffing/very minor scratches I would suggest pulling head for better inspection. BUT do a leak down AND compression test BEFORE taking head off. The LD has been mentioned at least once and you haven't done it yet. If you choose not to follow advice :eek:, that's fine with me (us), but save time and don't bother posting questions :D8-|

If you see much more than scuffing/very minor scratches I would suggest pulling head for better inspection. BUT do a leak down AND compression test BEFORE taking head off. The LD has been mentioned at least once and you haven't done it yet. If you choose not to follow advice :eek:, that's fine with me (us), but save time and don't bother posting questions :D8-|

The leak problem has been addressed at least four times.

i will do the leak test and a proper compression test as soon as i can its raining/snowing here i do appreciate all of the advice on here that is why i posted no need for negativity, and again thanks to all for the advice/knowledge.

Guess I did come acrossed little strong/nagatively, but sometimes it takes a little tough love to get the point through. I have aggresive trail port, Vito's reeds and Fat Bastard pipe and only run a 310@70*f@9-1200 ft, and running rich (some would say pig rich) and doubt it would even run with a 360. This info strongly suggests an air leak somewhere. I (we) are only trying to help avoid a meltdown.