2001 Yamaha blaster wierd engine failure

Apr 12, 2009
SW Florida
Hey Guys me and my buddy picked up a 2001 yamaha blaster this week for 500 bucks. The Quad is all there not missing any parts and mostly stock. The quad was not running when we purchased it so I did a couple tests. There is good spark and I took the carb apart cleaned it very good and it seems fine. The compression however is about 60-70psi which I Know is low. The wierd thing is I took the head off and there doesnt seem to be a blown piston and the cylinder walls look perfect. My question is can the rings just loose compression over time and fail like that or was this cyclinder bored out maybe and they put a standard kit in it? Thanks for the advice

could just be worn rings, or possibly bored cylider with the wrong sixe piston in it, gonna have to take it to the shop, cylinder and piston and let them measure it and tell ya what it needs, unless you have access to all those specs and all the micrometers to do all that

could just order a set of rings and take the ring end gap mearsurement with new rings
but if its to much your out the price of rings.

chances are that it is ready for the next size piston if the rings are worn then the cylinder is probably egged out

I'd say pull your top end off, check for anything wrong with the piston.....then measure piston and cylinder....if all is fine.....just buy new rings...they cost about $30.00....

your gonna havta check the specs for the ring end gap, my guess is you just wasted that loot, take it to the shop that will be doing the work, they'll tell you what needs done and how much bigger of piston kit you need
yes you will prolly need a new piston, wrist pin, rings and gasket set, heres the best priced one i just ordered, you'll need to get the size the shop tells you....

WISECO TOP END KIT 67MM YAMAHA BLASTER 200 88-06 : eBay Motors (item 260549843347 end time Mar-09-10 10:13:36 PST)

Last edited by a moderator:
Send the rings back, and do the piston kit now before you need to do it 2 weeks from now anyhow when the new rings seize up the piston or something stupid like that, your cylinder walls are prob. worn down past spec....

If you look up Peak Motorsports on ebay they have the whole weisco piston kit like AWK showed you but its only $100 flat rate, so its a little cheaper, i shopped all over and they have the best price by far, im not affiliated with them in any way just a satisfied customer of theres.... Goodluck! I:I

did you check the reeds???

haha with a compression of 60 to 70 good lucj starting that.

also u might want to just go next size up cause that jug is more than likley worn and that is why u are so low, u will save more money in the long run to just go the next size.