2001 Ktm 380 swap

Steveforg

Aug 8, 2015
Hey guys I am new here I have a 2001 Ktm 380 dirtbike and its just to much for the trails around me so I am thinking about putting it in a blaster I don't think this has been done before I know I read a post about a Ktm 250 and they were talking about the 300 and 380 but I don't think any one has attempted it any feed back would be greatly Appreciated

Has not been done, but would love to see it!

Would need at least a +4 swing arm.

and do everything professionally. if you half-ass it, stuff tends to break

I am going to try to do everything right but this is just my trial run I want to work out the kinks in this frame then buy a frame with a title

Sell the KTM and the Blaster and buy a Banshee. If you have the skills and are set on doing the swap, put the KTM in something with some decent handling and brakes, like a late model 4 stroke chassis. Most transplants end up 85% finished and put up for sale on Craigslist for less than $500. Of the 2 stroke swaps that get finished, most don't run right due to a screwed up exhaust. There have been a few done right that run well, but they're rare and done by people with a lot of experience in fabrication.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. The 380 is a sought after bike, any condition. There are a load of hotrod Banshees for sale.

Well I really don't want to sell the bike I just want the power to be useable and I weld all the time I build signs for a living so I know I'll finish it and it will be sweet

My buddy is trying to get me to build a subframe for the engine and I just don't think it will fit I feel like I have to make like stretched mounts and reinforce them I am going to pull the engine tonight and dry fit to see what kind of room I am working with

I have a works nitrogen rear shock that I m thinking about selling or do you guys think I should keep it for the build

Is it a shock for a Blaster? Good suspension will help out allot with the mods. I say see if the motor will even fit in there first. Then if you needed xtra $ for the build you could sell it ??

My buddy said it fits 300 ex 400 ex blaster warrior banshee and raptors with little to no modification

2001 KTM 380 $2,000
Blaster $900
Suspension upgrades $1,000
Time spent 3 months
-----------------------------------
Getting your doors blown off by a $2700 Banshee---- Priceless
Trying to sell your hybrid Blaster for more than $1,000---- Impossible

2001 KTM 380 $2,000
Blaster $900
Suspension upgrades $1,000
Time spent 3 months
-----------------------------------
Getting your doors blown off by a $2700 Banshee---- Priceless
Trying to sell your hybrid Blaster for more than $1,000---- Impossible

Why always so negative Blues?
Slightly less (47_49) than basic bolt on Banshee, and suspension is a G for either. A $2700 shee don't have suspension.
In this hobby, you best not be expecting to make a profit on most projects.
He has the major pieces, why not?

Though I do agree somewhat, I'd like a 400 ex with this engine.
Heck, a Blaster with either a KTM 200 or KDX 200/220 would be nice.
If I were in Australia I would use a Yammy Dt 220/230 , newer and similar to Dt 200.

Some people ( myself included) enjoy a challenge. I see guys on BHQ take a year, or more, building à mostly bolt together ride.

I am just swapping it into his frame for temporary and because I have a endless supply of blaster parts and honestly I don't think a banshee would over take the Ktm in the blaster the Ktm is just absolutely insane I can't even get it out of first on the trails I am either straight up in the air or drifting and I wouldn't try selling it after the build and worse comes to worse I'll just put the Ktm back in the bike I should be starting it tonight

YES !!!

Pualie B did a sweet YZ 490 , only issue was he should have gusseted more ( hint)
Have seen 465/490s on CL, done well, and asking good $$$.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate it but it's only being made so I can use it other wise your right it's not worth it to build and sell thanks for posting