2000 Blaster will only idle

I need to buy more beer.
Went to take a test ride. Clicked it into gear and started letting out the clutch...
I began moving .. backwards.
It runs great,... backwards!
Checked woodruf key and even slotted my stator plate trying to advance timing, no avail.

I did replace the main coil and pulsar coil. Could either have been wired backwards and cause this?

I'm now eyeing an aftermarket stator plate complete with new coils on Ebay.

Haven't had the heart to tell grandkid yet. He still thinks it's running right but hasnt had an opportunity to be over to ride it yet.

Darn Blaster has really been a challenge.

don't run it backwards. if the kicker catches somehow it will explode your motor into pieces. you sure the woodruff key didn't shear? don't see a coil causing the problem. if only sparks when told to by the stator. never heard of this problem from wiring but i guess if it is firing completely backward......

It is not uncommon for a 2 stroke to run backwards.

Advancing the timing could make it happen more often.

The reason is that if you miss kick and the piston does not go over TDC, the piston can stop and be propelled back to where it came from.

Causes for backward running.

Not kicking hard enough.

Timing too far advanced.

Spun flywheel.

I have never heard of a CDI causing backward running, but I suppose it could be possible as it controls the advance.

Wiring would not be the problem as it would only cause a start/no start situation.