1983 chevy g20 van idle problems...

yzrider

Apr 12, 2009
northwest Indiana
im having some idle issues on my 1983 chevy g20 passenger van, it idles pretty good when it is cold, the choke functions perfect (its brand new). we just freshly rebuilt the carb, but after driving when it gets hot it runs really fast on idle and can cause run on when i turn it off.... i am considering a new carb or taking it up to the local shop to get checked out. the idle is set all the way down and we actually used a heavier throttle spring to pull the throttle back further so it idles lower.... not sure what else to do at this point. it has a 350 with a 4 barrel carb and all the standard gm throttle linkage crap. just wondering if any of you have any ideas on what to do?

im having some idle issues on my 1983 chevy g20 passenger van, it idles pretty good when it is cold, the choke functions perfect (its brand new). we just freshly rebuilt the carb, but after driving when it gets hot it runs really fast on idle and can cause run on when i turn it off.... i am considering a new carb or taking it up to the local shop to get checked out. the idle is set all the way down and we actually used a heavier throttle spring to pull the throttle back further so it idles lower.... not sure what else to do at this point. it has a 350 with a 4 barrel carb and all the standard gm throttle linkage crap. just wondering if any of you have any ideas on what to do?

have you checked for vacuum leaks? thats what it sounds like. get a can of carb cleaner and spray it on hoses and the intake manifold, especially the front and back, and carb base if the engine rpms change you found your leak

have you checked for vacuum leaks? thats what it sounds like. get a can of carb cleaner and spray it on hoses and the intake manifold, especially the front and back, and carb base if the engine rpms change you found your leak

we';ve been doing alot with finding where vaccum hoses go and stuff, i think im just gonna bring it to the mechanic and see if they can do better than me...