04 blaster wont rev on brand new rebuild

Flywheel key was fine. Checked yesterday. Gonna hope its an electrical issue that will be solved by the new parts on the way.

So I swapped out the stator, flywheel, coil, and cdi from a known working bike and its still doing the same thing. It started not to start well after a few days of experimenting so a new plug went in and now it starts and idles first kick. but still wont rev. Im leaning towards improper float level. causing the cyl to flood. I cleaned the carb out like 3x already just never adjusted the float. Im going to call the local shops to see if anyone has a carb kit while I'm at it. It doesnt seem to be bouncing off rev limiter anymore but instead just boggs down when i try to rev it up.

I installed new boysenn power reeds as well hoping maybe that would change it but it didnt. I have a 230 main jet installed and needle on middle setting. btw.

I watched your video.
Did you splice the tors wires under the hood and under the seat? This might sound silly, but double check to make sure that you spliced the correct ends. Also, is your air screw on the carb 1.5 turns out from lightly tight? Measure the float level also. Its to be set at 21.5mm.
What type of exhaust are you running also? Do you have a clean air filter? I saw that the air box lid was on too.
Did you check the compression after the rebuild? And have you Leak Down tested it yet? Are you premixing or using the oil injection pump? If you plan on running no air box lid, and premixing, a 230 Main Jet isn't going to cut it.

Sorry for all the Q's, Just trying to see if we can get a place to start getting you back to good.

Fred

Ok guys, here's where I'm at...I had a bottom end rebuilt by someone who is reputable so I had a good base to start with. The top end I have a ported jub which was bored to .050 I believe (also from a reputable machine shop). The shop ordered me a Namura piston and a new bearings and a cometic gasket.

The oil is blocked off correctly and so is the carb. using Klots super techniplate 32:1 premix w/93 and belray gear saver 80w in the bottom.

Kicked over second kick with the choke on. and IT WONT REV UP! I have only run it maybe a total of 3 min total. between trying new things. It sort of stays running but wont go past like 20-30% power. just bogs.

I have already made sure the gas is flowing out of the tank, filling up the carb, etc.

The carb has been cleaned by me a few times and it has a 230 main jet in it now.

I apologise for not picking up this earlier.

As said a #230 main is not big enough for the job.

What other mods have you done?

Was the port job just done? Who did it or was it a DIY. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't a piss poor porting job possibly create some of the problems he is experiencing?

I spliced the black and yellow wires that lead to the cdi box together, I also tried leaving them unplugged and I tried grounding the green wire off the stator. plus all possible combinations of this as well..

screw on carb is 1.5 out. I havent measured the float but I bought a new carb kit which should be here friday and im gonna install all the goodies and measure from there. a few times after reinstall of the carb it was stuck open and gas pissed all over the place. so maybe the float needle is bad??

STOCK PIPE WITH PRO CIRCUIT SILENCER, BOYSENN POWER REEDS, PRO-FILTER (EBAY), AIRBOX LID ON, MILD PORT JOB DONE BY??(brought the jug to KOC and he replied "looks like someone's been watching my port video's... not a bad job"), BR8ES SPARK PLUG, DISCONNECTED PARKING BRAKE. 230 MAIN JET, MIDDLE CLIP NEEDLE. PREMIX KLOTZ 32:1.

I disconnected the silencer last night and some gas was in it...not alot maybe a bottlecap full.

On that note it doesnt seem to be hitting a rev limiter anymore like before..more like when i hit the gas its either starving or flooding...I left the bike vertical(on the grab bar) overnight so maybe some gas can escape the cyl/exhaust. im gonna wait till the carb kit comes in and try again friday afternoon after the goods come in.

Seems like Marco is having a similar problem. http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/blaster-bogging-56771/

It is possible to check the fuel level by attaching a length of clear plastic tubing to the drain nipple , lifting it up the side of the carby, and cracking the drain screw.

The fuel should show in the pipe to the level of the carb body above the float bowl gasket.

Your main jet should be in the vicinity of a #270 - #280, you must plug chop to confirm.

Really? I have heard from others that stock jet would be fine. The stock pipe is holding me back I know but I want to get it running before I start any more mods. The port needs that much more fuel? How can I distinguish between lean vs flooded engine without plug chop? I can't rev up obv.

Fitting a silencer with little or no restriction can mean an increase in jet size, porting can also require a larger main jet, after market air filters can make a difference of one or two sizes of main.

Pre mixing at 32:1 also requires a increase of one size main jet.

The main jet will have no relation to the problem you are encountering, but unless you jet correctly you will soon fry the motor after you get it to run properly.

You must determine wether the motor is flooding by checking the fuel level in the carby, I posted the procedure in my last post.

The float level must be correct and the fuel passages clean.

The idle then must be set as per specs, then, and only then will you be able to do anything more as it will not perform correctly until the former is correct.

a few times after reinstall of the carb it was stuck open and gas pissed all over the place. so maybe the float needle is bad??

This maybe your problem.

I am going to wait for the carb kit to come in Friday but at the same time..you think I need to go from a 230 to a 270?? Air filter shouldn't make a difference as it's similar to stock. Just oiled foam. So let's say up a size bc of premix. Then up a size for silencer and port? So 250?

The Pro circuit may affect the breathing, as may the mild porting.

A change in air filter can make a noticeable difference.

I say start big and plug chop back.

It is your bike, your time, your money, so it is your call!

I would hate you to post in a few weeks, "how much is a new top end".

Do not use the jets from the jet kit...

Did you also cut and splice the wire from the throttle body? From reading, it doesnt seem that you did.

My local shop only had a 260 in stock. I'm going to try that when the carb kit comes in. And order the rest of the jets over the weekend.

I did splice both ends if the tors system. Throttle side and carb side.