voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
I've never really thought about it before so I don't have a real answer so I'll just throw it out there. How does a stock voltage regulator work and what is there in there to go bad?

My understanding is that it's a dead short for all of the voltage over ~15VAC but I'm not an electrical engineer....

well there are many different styles of voltage regulators. there are simple ones consisting of just resistors or a series of diodes keeping a certain voltage in check. there are also electromechanical or coil voltage regulators which are large wraps of wire making a coil turning it into an electromagnet which then dissipates the power. then there are filters which sounds like what you are talking about. inside of a filtered circuit there are resistors and there are also capictors and inductors. the capacitors and inductors either work as an open circuit when they reach the desired voltage meaning they send no power through or they can work like a dead short at a certain voltage. in ac circuits these filters control frequency and also control the voltage and current. in dc circuits they only control voltage and current. so if any of those components go bad they will not work right. i would have to see a schematic of your circuit or the actual circuit board to tell you what might have went bad. oh and i am an electronic engineer lol

well there are many different styles of voltage regulators. there are simple ones consisting of just resistors or a series of diodes keeping a certain voltage in check. there are also electromechanical or coil voltage regulators which are large wraps of wire making a coil turning it into an electromagnet which then dissipates the power. then there are filters which sounds like what you are talking about. inside of a filtered circuit there are resistors and there are also capictors and inductors. the capacitors and inductors either work as an open circuit when they reach the desired voltage meaning they send no power through or they can work like a dead short at a certain voltage. in ac circuits these filters control frequency and also control the voltage and current. in dc circuits they only control voltage and current. so if any of those components go bad they will not work right. i would have to see a schematic of your circuit or the actual circuit board to tell you what might have went bad. oh and i am an electronic engineer lol

I meant the voltage regulator on a blaster LOL

I have a bad one (first one I've ever heard of) and it lets the AC voltage of the lighting circuit shoot up to ~35VAC when you rev the engine (which is obviously insta-death to the bulb)

well ive never torn one apart but i would guess it is probably actually a transformer inside there. it will be a constant voltage transformer which will step down the voltage from the stator and keep it in check no matter how much the stator is producing. transformers consist of many resistors diodes capacitors and inductors ran in a complex circuit to get the desired result. your best bet is going to be finding a used one and replacing it. the chance of finding the bad component and replacing it successfully is quite slim

well ive never torn one apart but i would guess it is probably actually a transformer inside there. it will be a constant voltage transformer which will step down the voltage from the stator and keep it in check no matter how much the stator is producing. transformers consist of many resistors diodes capacitors and inductors ran in a complex circuit to get the desired result. your best bet is going to be finding a used one and replacing it. the chance of finding the bad component and replacing it successfully is quite slim

Oh, I know. I'm going to be looking for one to replace this one I just don't like taking the notion that "this one's broken" without knowing WHAT broke. Sort of my nature, I guess.

being that its taking in a changing source from the stator which is subject to change even slightly based on rpm it would almost have to be a transformer which can handle the change in voltage frequency and current and still offer the same output. so any one of those components inside the transformer more than likely a capacitor fried and is no longer regulating voltage in its section letting out the 35v you are getting

being that its taking in a changing source from the stator which is subject to change even slightly based on rpm it would almost have to be a transformer which can handle the change in voltage frequency and current and still offer the same output. so any one of those components inside the transformer more than likely a capacitor fried and is no longer regulating voltage in its section letting out the 35v you are getting

yeah..... that sucks

i always figuered these voltage regulators would use the very simple
"zener diode" to regulate voltage ?????................

Zener Diode Voltage Regulator - Electric Circuit

its possible its a very simple circuit but if i remember correctly the voltage regulator box is much bigger than what a single zener diode would be. these diodes are very small and are incorperated largely inside of transformers. i believe they are a complete transformer which may contain numerous diodes. like i stated having never opened one up im not sure what the blasters regulators are i just assumed they were transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.