The OKO saga continues...

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
Well as most of you know if have been pulling my hair out for the last 4 months now and an almost bald.

i have persisted with the 30mm OKO and have FINALLY come to a satisfying end (although its probably just a blind rise)

I stuck the 165 in after i felt the 168 was a bit fat and sounded like it was blowing bubbles at WOT. the 165 felt and sounded good.

Then i stuck in the 55 pilot down from the 58, as i also found on the 58 it was fat and was 4-stroking a lot, also it would cut out when i pulled to a stop while riding, the 55 sound crisp and idles well and pulls off cleanly.

As for the needle (my nemisis) i have had no luck with the stock N80F OKO needle of the Keihin JJH needle BUT i have had luck with the banshee needle. At first i had it on the richest clip and ive run it there before. it goes but i felt there was a flat spot off pilot but before main, not a bog though, just a lack of power, and if i fell out of the powerband, it would battle to climb into it again. so i did something i had never tried before and that was to lean out the banshee needle by raising the clip. BAM! that worked! felt good, mid range hit like a slap in the face. but i still wasnt totally sold on it so i raised it another clip to the middle clip. and there it goes, power is good all the way through and flat spots are eliminmated!

So im happy with the results.

HOWEVER..(every story has a "however" ) i did some plug chops...

I ran a 158 (lean) to see an extreme case, a 162 and a 165 (what im currently running) i didnt bother with the 168 cause i know it feels far to fat.

here are the results...not very conclusive...what do you think? i didnt cut the 162 as i didnt notice a hang of a difference between the 165 and the 158 so i didnt want to cut up a plug that was run with a jet in between the two!

The 1st rwo pics show the 165 on the left and the 158 on the right

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

this shows the 165

IMG_2242.jpg

these two show the 158

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

the pics dont show what you can see in real life though, the 165 is definatly darker (only just) with the eye. the 158 is lighter

power feels good with either the 158, 162 and 165. highest top speed was attained with the 158, 1.6km/h faster than the top speed with the 165.

here is the 165 after running a little, (i didnt cut it as it was my last one)

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

any thoughts??

I totally commend your efforts in sharing this info and wow a clear spark plug pic for a change haha

I tell you, that 162 looks like the bees knees. That's what I would run personally.

I believe when I had my OKO 30 I was rocking a 158 and it looked good. I believe the quality control on the OKO's isn't as good as the keihin's they're knocked off of and the resulting differences in jetting are a result of that. One OKO 30 might want a 165, the next might only need a 155.... Versus genuine keihin carburetors which are nearly across the board at about a 158 for a perfect mixture no matter the size of the carburetor LOL!

I've said it before, the OKO's not a BAD carburetor but it's certainly not for those who want a "bolt and go" operation.

PS, I LOVE the super clear pictures!

ok thanks sic, you mean the 165? you said the 162 but i didnt have a pic of the 162.

do you think the colour is OK on the 165?

My logic here: it surely cant be lean because one size up (168) is far to rich and the bike feels dead.

Good thread on the oko 30mm.I especially like the plug chop and regular over all look of the plug comparison:).Gained some good info with this carb.Its cheasy but its got some flow to it.Thanks for sharing this.