spark problem, yes on a blaster.

tryingtobefaster

Feb 15, 2008
cadillac, mi
i seem to be having no spark, i have no tors, no carb switch, no lights, i have no main kill, just the handle bar kill. what could be the problem, and why does every new coil i put on test bad? is yamaha just riping me off or am i doing something wrong? i need a bare minimum spark test. and what about bypassing the tors and carb switch, just connect the two, b-y/b or leave them just cut? im so confused.

yes i checked the pulser coil, its good, the ignition coil seems to be bad as soon as it touches the machine, i put 3 dif. ones and they seem to go bad when i put it on, i kick it and no spark, so i tested it and it was bad. all the switches are gone as i have twist throttle and a 34mm kehin, no key, bypassed. just the kill switch on the handlebar. no lighting system at all, its all removed by rocks and sand hills so i took it all off. i have a good solid ground from the cdi and the stator plate has a black thats good and tight and its aftermarket so it came with a g/w wire on it that has a flat to connect with a skrew to the frame, i assumed it was a ground all along. is it? it has a bran new plug and i only test it by putting it to the block so it dont have gas on it. its a damn mystery to me thats for sure, i have 2 grand in aftermarkets on it, including a cfm aluminum airbox and k&n filter with outerweres. bored .20 ported polished, and billet clutch everything. i still need new front rims and tires but i have maxis 4-snows on it as im in michigan and the snows deep this time of year. too much invested to give up now, but its getting rediculus, any help would be great.

I checked a frame I have and noticed that the front mount for the coil is clean bare metal for the ground, the rear mounting hole is painted over.
Has your frame been painted or pwdercoated and that area covered up?

no i flat filed any ground connects, and i cleaned all the plugs and used elecrical terminal grease to prevent any arching or lose wires. do coils go bad when you test them, i only ever put the plug to the motor and kick it to see if i have spark, could i be killing the coils?

That shouldn't hurt the coil. You checked the switch too?
Have you retraced the wiring, you might have missed something, sounds like you covered everything though.

all the switches are bypassed, besides the handlebar on-off lights switch, and it is good. im gonna try another new coil, i got a wiring diagram from some thread on here and its what i needed, it eliminated all the unnesessary wires and i think it workes if i had another coil. thanks for all the help ill post back if it dont work.

i believe that the green wire off the stator goes to the 03-06 cdi.. i had the no/weak spark problem to (who hasnt) an i bought an 06 stator... popped it in, still nuthin.. got thinkin about the green wire and compared to my 02 stator.. i had to desolder the green and solder on the black in its spot.. it wasnt wired the same way as the 02 and earlier style stator plates. seems like everyone has the right idea on here as you should double check the wiring, and dont throw too many parts on all at once.... narrow it down one at a time

what do you mean you removed it and put a black one there, what would changing the color of your wire have to do with it? i think im misunderstanding what your saying. is it the black from the other part of the stator that you soldered up, if so did you splice in a new one or move the black or what, could you explain in better detail, and what would be the dif if its just a ground wouldnt i just put it to the frame with all the other grounds.

its hard to put into exact words, but... there was a black and there was a green wire coming from the charging coil on the stator... the black wasnt in the same spot as my original 02 stator. if i remember right, it was tapped from the middle of the coil (i think) but i saw the green wire coming from the end of the coil where my original black was.. so i just hooked that one up.. no go.. i had to disconnect the "tap" and (just for appearance and keeping things tidy) i put the black wire in the green wires spot... fired right up... turns out that the resistance was different and the cdi wouldnt let the ignition coil do its job... sorry for being so confusing

hope it helps

oh.. and dude above me has a good point.. check the woodruff key.. ive sheared one before and there will def. be no spark

i know its not the woodruff key i checked that as it said to do in the clymer manual, i still dont know that i fully understand what you mean about the green wire tho, did i buy the wrong stator? or is it just something they do now with the new style of things, why is the green there if it wont let the cdi do its job? is there a way you could send me a picture of what you did to yours? this would be alot easier if you were in michigan, there seems to be no blaster fans around,or at least anyone who knows anything about them. so if i got it strait, remove the green, but the black thats on the other side of the pulser coil were the green was and run it like that?
has anyone else done or seen this brain surgery done? i just dont get why they put this green there and its bad, and it wont let it run, what a genious idea that was. i apreciate the help and its not that i dont believe you{xxxxfloodedxxxx} i just dont get why, id like more fact to it befor i go cutting wires again, im getting tired of shoot and miss.

I've heard you can't mix the electrical parts from a 02 and earlier with the 03 and later, from a very reputable source. Not that you couldn't make it work if you knew what you were doing. Might try looking at the diagrams in the Clymers for the old version and the new ones and see if you can figure it out, or try a older stator.

thanks that helped alot, and it all makes sence now, its a 99 so it all adds up, my stock stator has no green and i wasted alot of money that could have got me new reeds and spacer and other sh*t. i really apreciate someones brilliance, tell your reputable source thanks too. ill be sure to post back if that dont fix the problem tho.