Slop/play in rear axle?

maverick

Nov 13, 2010
When I lift up on the rear I can see slop in the axle where the tube goes into the swing arm/frame.

Are there bearings in there that need to be replaced?

thanks

Yea, the bearing between the axle and carrier can go, just remove your brake rotor, chain, left hub and breaker bar the locknuts off, slide out the axle and there's two bearings on each edge of the "tube".
They can get really bad because there's no way of greasing without putting in a grease nipple. They're pretty cheap, like €20 or $25.
Make sure to pop off the grease seal and fill it with grease before putting them in, they've barely any grease from new. I:I

Just replaced a set in mine. I had no warning that it was on the way out, a bit of grass had worked itself into the oil seal causing water to get in.

One bearing had exploded and the cage and balls were grinding around in the carrier, a mongrel to get out.

When you replace the bearings make sure that the grease retainers or covers are of the sealed rubber type, they add more protection to water and dirt getting in.

Put in a new set of seals too.

I frown at the idea of adding extra grease, bearings will run quite happily with the grease supplied.
Bearings are assembled under clean, pristine conditions, why take the risk of contaminating them.

Just replaced a set in mine. I had no warning that it was on the way out, a bit of grass had worked itself into the oil seal causing water to get in.

One bearing had exploded and the cage and balls were grinding around in the carrier, a mongrel to get out.

When you replace the bearings make sure that the grease retainers or covers are of the sealed rubber type, they add more protection to water and dirt getting in.

Put in a new set of seals too.

I frown at the idea of adding extra grease, bearings will run quite happily with the grease supplied.
Bearings are assembled under clean, pristine conditions, why take the risk of contaminating them.

not long ago, awk posted a pic of how much grease they put in the bearings from the factory.... didn't look like very much... plus, just work in a clean environment and you shouldn't have a problem repacking them... i wish i would have repacked mine, or installed a grease nipple.... to a point, the more grease, the less dirt and water will have an impact...

When i bought mine there was a grease nipple added my axle came out really easy and the bearings are still great.

Admitted there seems to be too little grease from the factory, but it is adequate.

When a bearing rotates friction generates heat, the more grease, the more friction. If there is more grease than specified in the bearing it can expand and force out of the seal. The expelled grease then picks up dust and when the bearing cools this dust can be sucked back into the bearing from contraction.

I realize that that the above explanation only happens in extreme situations, and is not likely to happen on a Blaster as they utilize external seals.

My point is that there is adequate grease in new bearings, and one does not want to take the risk of stretching a grease seal, which will allow dirt in.

Last edited: