Run for a second, then DIE! Help, Please

C

catfish449

I have an '02 Blaster, stock. Has not been modded in any way. It did not get ran much through the winter. My daughter got it out and tried to get it running. Being that it had not been ran, we changed the plug and freshened everything up.

okay, now the problem........ With the choke pulled all the way out, it will hit after about 5 kicks for just a couple seconds, then dies like it is out of gas. I removed the carb yesterday, disassembled it, cleaned it out and put it back on. Same thing. I removed it again, went all the way through it again, same thing. Once it runs a couple seconds, it will not hit again for a while. If we let it sit for a few minutes, it will run for a couple seconds and die like it is out of gas.

I disconnected all the wiring to do with the TORS this morning after reading about it last night, now it will not hit at all. After more thought, I am almost convinced that it was not a TORS problem.

Any help woulg be greatly appreciated. I would rather not take this thing back to Yamaha.

Thanks in advance,

Fish

if the carb dried out totally, the accelerator pump might be shot
carb rebuild kit is approx $14

also check intake hose connected to the carb if might be CRACKED and Leaning it out...happened to me.

Almost forgot drain the gas and add new 93 octane

Gas might have gone bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the local Yamaha shop and was told that no kit was available. I would have to purchase each piece individually. Was unaware that there was an accelerator pump in these. All the o-rings looked good and all hoses appear in good shape.

I also removed the fuel line from the carb and turned the gas on into a bottle. I am getting good fuel flow from the tank.

If you can tell me which part is actually the pump, I will gladly remove the carb again and check it.

Fish

Update

okay,
I removed the carb again, went back through it with carb cleaner and compressed air. This is the third time going through it. I didn't find anything stopped up any of the three times. I went ahead and hooked the TORS back up, as I do not feel that it is giving me the problem.

I did a compression test, here are the results:
1st kick- 55
2nd kick- 80
3rd kick- 105
4th kick- apx 120

tried with the airbox open and air filter removed, same results. when I went through the carb this last time, I drained the fuel tank completely and put in fresh 93 octane, just to make sure that base was covered.

Doing exactly the same thing. With the choke all the way out, it hit on about the third kick, ran about 1-2 seconds then choked out like it ran out of gas, just as before. after that, it will not attempt to start again. After sitting about 15 minutes, it will hit with the choke all the way out, for a couple seconds then die.

I also removed the stator cover just to see if there was anything apparent in there, but nothing. All looks normal as far as I can tell.

One last thing, after it died, I pulled the plug to see what it looked like. It is a new plug, I just wanted to see that it was getting fuel. The plug was wet. Seems to me that it is getting enough fuel, but when I check spark, it seems fine too.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this happen, or can tell me something else to try, I am open to suggestions.

Fish