Rubber coupler

ant_mb

Feb 22, 2010
Delran NJ
Hey Guys,

I'm having a problem with the rubber hose that couples the expansion chamber to the silencer. I bought some rubber hose from the parts store, I think it was heater hose or maybe even small radiator hose. The first one lasted about 3 rides maybe 10 hours, but the second one lasted about 2 hours before it tore. Is there anything out there that works better?

On a side note I noticed that on the ride home with a lot of the exhaust leaking there it really ripped ass. I did a little search and found that a clogged silencer will really affect the performance of a 2 stroke. Anything to this? I bought the exhaust used and have 2 seasons on it myself without repacking. Thoughts...

silencer definatly needs repacked, and not with steel wool
buy the fmf 2 stroke packing from ebay for under $15 shipped

instead of sliding the heater hose over the pipes, take a 6" piece, split it long ways, wrap around the pipe, mark where it meets and cut, tyrap or double hose clamp it on there
my sons is on it's second season
i also use a little "hi temp copper permatex" before sliding the 2 together

silencer definatly needs repacked, and not with steel wool
buy the fmf 2 stroke packing from ebay for under $15 shipped

instead of sliding the heater hose over the pipes, take a 6" piece, split it long ways, wrap around the pipe, mark where it meets and cut, tyrap or double hose clamp it on there
my sons is on it's second season
i also use a little "hi temp copper permatex" before sliding the 2 together

Thanks for the reply awk. The exhaust doesn't leak where you cut it? I have read about 100 pages on packing and about half of them say that insulation from Home Depot works just as well for about $3. Not trying to cheap out, but Home Depot is across the street.

gettin old and almost forgot, good save slick !!!!!

Small piece of hydrolic hose, found at a GOOD auto parts stores, or someplace that makes hoses, or might luck out and find a chunk from a blown hose at a constructio/trucking firm.

I've also seen this silcone hose at advance auto but was $12. Not sure on the packing though, I've never packed a silencer!

no home depot insulation, i tried some and it melted
fmf packing,
and if slick says that 1" coupling works, it's gospel !!!!!

I'd say most eahausts are 1" or so at the stinger. That silicone stuff is easy and very flexible like a rubber without ribs! HAAAAAHAAA

Ok thanks for the info guys. I noticed it's sold in 3 inchs, is that wnough? If I'm ordering I'd like at least a foot.

OK thanks. Once again more for shipping than the part $.99 for the part and 5.99 for shipping. :) Oh well it is well spent to save my ears for that wicked 2 stroke non mufflered exhaust!

Ya and it will never need replaced well worth it!