Rock crusher

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
I know this is for blaster project/ parts but this is an interesting project and it does actually include a blaster part.

On a side note, I think I may in the running for the strangest use of a blaster part.

I decided to make a jaw crusher to process some construction debris I had laying around. I began the project with the idea that it would be mobile. I started with an old boat trailer and started building accordingly. I used pillow blocks and 2 bolt flanges to support the 1.5" driveshaft. The jaw has 3/4" swing at the top and about 1/2" an inch at the bottom. It uses a 5 hp briggs engine for power, a trailer tire and rim for a flywheel, and a yamaha blaster chain drive hub with the sprocket removed.

SANY0028.jpg

SANY0033.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

SANY0005-1.jpg

SANY0006-1.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

SANY0013.jpg

SANY0018.jpg

SANY0019.jpg

SANY0021.jpg

And a youtube video of it running:

Last edited by a moderator:
You notice I didn't stick my hand in there but just to move that one piece of block. It doesn't move a lot so it's not like it's going to come flying out and catch me. The only thing is, when I stick strong fracturing rocks (basalt) in it they pop back out sometimes. Flying rocks is not cool but at least they go mostly up and give you a moment of warning before they come out. With a nice crack and grinding noise and then POP they come back out of the chute.

sweeeeeeet bro, i need one of them, man, the things i could do, hehe, u need to make urself a plexiglass sheild that goes in front of it, and a plastic rod to push the stuff in

I'm actually planning a chute with a fairly heavy lid. I have a bunch of large basalt rocks and I've already had one baseball sized rock fly about 10 feet. So I already know I need a lid on it. I haven't finished obviously with everything but I had to stop building to get ready to go to Busco at the end of the week.

It works best on hard items that crack when they are put under pressure. I guess it would deform most anything stuffed down in it but it wouldn't necessarily crumble it like it does rocks. Jaw crushers are a very old way of breaking rocks/rubble into usable "gravel" and still work VERY well.

Reactions: blasterfreek30
Freek: that's exactly what I designed it for! I was thinking about renting it out on craigslist if I can get the kinks worked out and safety guards in place. It works really well for making "gravel" out of blocks. It doesn't make polsihed driveway stone like a rock quarry but it would be GREAT base for a driveway where the first three layers are going to be squished into the dirt anyway... no need to pay $14 a ton just to lose it under the dirt ESPECIALLY if you have rubble laying around anyway that you'd have to pay to haul off anyway.

we pay 1000's to have our broken block taken out.....then again it is about 2 or 300 yards worth lol....so we would need u to make one about 65 times bigger than that lol

Actually the production through-put is exponential with size (and horsepower input) My rock crusher is 10" x 10" with 5 hp. Most gravel yards use a jaw crusher for primary crushing and they are only like 24" x 36" with 50-100 hp. So at most I would need an order of magnitude or two larger and you could do some SERIOUS damage with it.

Of course to be able to throw entire chunks of wall into it and get usable gravel sized output, the process speed would drop but once you had that thing running one person, a backhoe, and the machine could process tons of rubble a day. It would be SUPER sweet and as long as you're not trying to use it on extremely hard materials (basalt, quartz, diamonds) it wouldn't need any especially expensive components.

The rock crushers that gravel yards use have special jaws on them to be able to handle any hardness rock. Manganese jaws are particularly expensive to purchase.

Reactions: DirtDiggler
I Love It!!!!!!! thats american ingenuity right there , there are people in this world that couldn't even draw that let alone build one !!!! Good job bro , Have some green !!!!!!!!!!!!

The movable jaw is cam driven.

I'm using a 1.5" 4340 steel bar to drive a 2.25" offset cam. All of the bearings are pillow mount/flange mount greasable ball bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.