Replacing axle bearings

deeeebeeeeee

Aug 20, 2015
Rossville, Ga
The hub, sprocket, and axle come out fine, no problems there thankfully.
I stopped last night after getting one bearing and the center sleeve out. The problem is that the carrier itself has taken some abuse at some time and the edge of the lip where the bearing goes in, has some dings and dents which made the bearing really tight all the way out.
1445966255786343768179.jpg

It's kind od hard to see now that I have force the bearing out through there, but there are two places that are more straight rather than round.
I had some ideas to straighten it and thought I would see how you guys would handle this.

1st idea was to fit the old bearing back in till it was about flush with the out side of the lip, and do a little heat and beat at the high spots. (Makes since to me since I have bodywork experience)

Next idea and what I might do as a follow up to the above, was to simply grind/sand, the low spots from the inside. The fear is that I don't want to remove more than a few thousandths or at least as little as possible.

I thought about using a little extra heat on the carrier and having a socket or whatever fits the outer race , and a hammer to help it past any tight spots.

It might be that I do all three, but I figure someone might know a better or safer way to clean up the lip of the carrier and get that bearing and afterwards the seal in without damage to either.

The bearings have been In the freezer for a month or so, I figure another 5mi utes and 33 seconds and they should be cold enough lol

Anyhow please let me know how you would handle this and if there is a better way than what I had in mind?

Thanks in advance
DEEBeee

If you can get the old one out, a new one should go back in.

Definitely clean any burs or debris out of where the bearing rests. A small file and some abrasive paper will work fine.

If your bearings are a month cold, throw some heat to that carrier, and I bet they drop in. Lol