Reed mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
There has been a LOT of discussion lately about different types of reeds and what can be done about increasing flow without decreasing reliability.

Most people blindly fit $135 V-force reeds on their quads thinking that's the best it can get and while having more petals seems like it would increase flow, the cross-sectional area inside the V-force reeds seems rather small. They may open quicker but they may also not flow as much as even stock reeds :eek:

Then there's the option to fit CR125 reeds into stock cylinders by shaving down each side of the intake area paper thin to get CR reeds to fit inside of it. I did it to my Vito's BBK cylinder and blew through the side and spent many more hours repairing the damage.

There is a third option but it's really for a banshee. IF banshee reed blocks and blaster reed blocks are compatible (which I BELIEVE they are) this is an option:

Thunder Products - Performance carburetor and clutching for snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATVs.

Last edited:

Only if you use Mikuni round slide carbs for a performance piece. The stock carburetor MIGHT be benefited slightly by installing it but not for the price on a stock carburetor.

The idea is sound too. Once of the reasons why flat slide and "d" slide carburetors give better throttle response is because of the problem that piece is designed to solve (in addition to having a longer tract to get from opening to engine among other design "flaws") but that piece isn't going to magically solve all of the problems the older round slide carbs have LOL.

Surf, you've got a banshee and a blaster sitting side by side. Tell us if the banshee and blaster reed cages are compatible.

I'm just curious now. I stumbled across that product while looking for other stuff and thought that could be very interesting in the name of flow. Instead of spending big bucks on plastic leaking things which may or may not get you more flow out of, perhaps a little reed cage mod and $40 reeds could do it LOL.

I'm not sure the dual stage large pedal is strong enough not to "blow back" and collapse but I see no reason that middle support rail can't be razor thinned and sharpened significantly....

Chutzell confirmed that the banshee reed cage and the blaster reed cage are a different bolt pattern so the reed cage is not a direct bolt in but I'm still awaiting confirmation that the reeds themselves are different bolt pattern.

I'm serious considering calling that company and asking if they could cut out a batch of the same material but on a blaster bolt pattern. They would basically be the same thing for them but bunches better for us, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.