Proper needle for a Keihin

Oldfart1stATV

Oct 29, 2007
Vito 240, Toomey B1, Keihin 34mm, open lid with a K&N Uni, Amsoil premix at stock (40-1) with pump gas (93) elevation under 4000 and temp 30-70F.

My question is what is the set up?

Main jet?
Pilot?
Needle most of all?
Slide ( I got a 60 now and have 40)?
Float height?
and what about that rotten little, well other pilot, the pressed in jet tube?
and needle clip height?

Let's here it guys......

;-)

My first post was far more fun, more of a stick at PB, but all in fun. This is serious kimshee, what you got?

I have it running, but no where near it's potential. I'm looking for the grail. I am looking for the set up, not questions on the set up I have, but answers.

Sorry I am the first and this is the way she starts, but with a little luck......we may get a good thread.

BTW, I am running a E16 6 heat range plug. Thing rocks, but....

A

Vito 240, Toomey B1, Keihin 34mm, open lid with a K&N Uni, Amsoil premix at stock (40-1) with pump gas (93) elevation under 4000 and temp 30-70F.

My question is what is the set up?

Main jet?
Pilot?
Needle most of all?
Slide ( I got a 60 now and have 40)?
Float height?
and what about that rotten little, well other pilot, the pressed in jet tube?
and needle clip height?

Let's here it guys......

;-)

My first post was far more fun, more of a stick at PB, but all in fun. This is serious kimshee, what you got?

I have it running, but no where near it's potential. I'm looking for the grail. I am looking for the set up, not questions on the set up I have, but answers.

Sorry I am the first and this is the way she starts, but with a little luck......we may get a good thread.

BTW, I am running a E16 6 heat range plug. Thing rocks, but....

A
ok main jet i say probabely around 155 to 160, pilote i say 36,well slide 60 is a little big but should doo the trick,needle i sai, eek ,3 clip
tell my wath you think cause YOU are a great mechanic and you know thats so you know no bike are the same, and if you want to achive perfect or almost perfect jetting the only way is by trial and error, but i thinks you should be verry close with wath i got ya. tell me if any good or maybe pitboss got something better,i am more use to d slide carb in keihin but i play a little with flat side so try this and keep in touch!!!

The main should be 165-170 ( only cause it's a Vito )

pilot 35-40

needle start at the middle postion

The float height, I set so there is 1/2 - 5/8 of a bowl of gas.

I'm not a big fan of the 34 Keihin carb. The 30 or 35 is much easier to zero in.

??

The hell is the diff. in the 34 to 35 other than the hole and slide? The parts interchange.

Anyway, been studyin' and found some smokin' info.

I have a mutant motor, not just from the vito's.

We all are in the same boat on where we think it should be. My pilot may be a bit large right now, have not been in it for a couple weeks.

We all know how a 2 stroke has a power band. You can "feel" a tuned motor.

Mine isn't.

I have a couple thoughts and some new info. The friggin' needle is an issue and I am running a fuel mixture that may be a little oil heavy. I mix my Amsoil at the suggested 40:1. I am finding folks are running real nice at 60:1 and some even more. I guess Amsoil lubes real good. The kicker is, all motors have a sweet spot on where they like the mix. So I get to run through a sh*tpile of gas mixes and do plug chops or feel the diff. Get the gas right and go through the whole set up, AGAIN.

BTW, across the board the 60 slide should be too big.

Think oil rich fuel, wrong slide.

I hate carbs.

I met a grumpy old sh*t out in Ca. He is the Gatekeeper of all 2 stroke carb set ups. His data is equal to Nascar/NHRA/Formula 1 anal note takers. He says I have sh*t for brains and a crappy ride (can't argue there), but is interested in my final set up with the vito. He liked me, should of heard what he said about the vito's crap!!

I still think the vito can kick out some nice horsey's, just gotta get it set up right.

I should be able to land on my back with the Blaster on top of me off the line. I don't get real power band action until about 3/4 of the way through 3rd. Then 4th and 5th rock. 6th seems to lose some nuts.

oh well, we'll see.

A

Busy

May get to ride Sunday and play with the set up...

We'll see.

The set up you guys suggested, and I pretty much have worked with is right on the money.

So any info I post from here on out is specific to my set up only!

I've rid me enough 2 strokes to know when they are kickin' and this one ain't. Don't get me wrong she will eat stock Blaster. Just the sound and power feel aren't right. Real hard to quantify. 'course a 2 stroke ain't a monster specific machine either. It's they pull a certain way when they are right and mine has dead spots. A tuned 2 stroke is like a spring it just winds and releases, it's smooth through out.

I'm way stoked to find out what;s up. The porting was too tame to be much of a factor, the odd plug can only improve performance (and burn out the piston, maybe), the carb is the only variable. So there I will concentrate.

PB, still interested in why the 34mm is a mutant. I got me 2 34's and a 35 or 36 body and everytime I check something they are swap outs other than hole and slide?

My issue is dialing in a 34mm so ANY info you can chuck my way is helpful, if it's harder to dial in , why?

I can go to the bigger body, will cost me a new filter and manifold, but...if it works like it feels like it should, I'll do it.

BTW, the seewt spot on this bad boy is from mid 3rd gear until the bottom of 6th.

If I can tweak it in and make it consistant, this will be a very nice machine. It will scare you. I move out of first, it works through 2nd and then it hits third and you have to back off or you will wind up on your back, and I weigh in over 200 and I know how to lean over the front and keep it down. 4th has the same nice pull just a gear down and 5th is a little less pull, but 6th is crap, similar to 1 and 2. I think my pilot is too big and running rich down low. Once sahe gets some air it works good. I know the main is smaller than you suggest, maybe 140 at best, may a 130, so would explain 6th. So anyway, will let you what the skinny is.

Most of all Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure where I wanted to start and you confirmed that. That was worth alot. Rather than just throw in the towel and start from scratch, I kept at the set up. It's friggin' close. I just don't have the off the line jump and the top end power.

That said, there are other factors in both those, but, the carb is the culprit, the "other" factors will be tweaked when the carb is right.

Just wanted to let guys know for the second time I will take momma nad one or two younguns out and ride. We will have fun. I know the set up is close enough that it won't go grenade and waste the motor.

I am now in fun mode.

Thanks guys!!!

That is what it is all about.

A