Please Help 96 blaster runs fine but won't rev out!!!

Brandon Brandt

Dec 15, 2016
Hi fellow blaster masters I am very stumped at this point with my brother's 96 blaster. Heres the break down guys. Bike has potential, I rode it all day today trying to figure this problem out. Let me give full rundown on bike first and for most. Okay, 96 blaster.
Has been rebuilt recently so I was told, and it does have a decent amount of compression at the kicker . So carb was cleaned so my brother says I guess I should do it myself . So carbs clean , fresh 32:1 mix. The electric park brake throttle stop system I forget the name but it's unplugged. Just put new spark plug in. Has both factory main and piolet jets. Fmf chrome fatty but still has stock muffler/silencer. I believe it has stock air filter and still has lid on. Did a chop test plug was brown and basically dry definitely not wet or black. But cold start bike takes 4-6 kicks and you have to hold choke knob out while starting cold. But when warm it starts one two kicks. Idles but not so well eventually if you let it idle alone after about ten seconds it will stall if you don't give it a little touch to keep it running. But you can ride it all day long just keep it running but it seems as if it's sluggish not bonging just takes off for the initial couple seconds right when clutch disengages takes off like some one is holding it back n then let's it go n then seems fine all day in trails has nice power but if we get on back road to go home and I get going in to high gears once I get like almost to top of 4th gear it will surge and rev higher then it's actually going if that makes sense till I let off a hair and ease back in throttle lightly but steadily I can get it to accelerate fairly nice but shift to next gear and start rapidly climbing in Roms again and it will do same thing or be like someone is holding it back again in 6th or if you get close to wot it will sputter like it's maxed out but you know it for sure has more to go. Also if I rev in neutral even fully warm it's like it's just started up in cold cold weather. I am so clueless on this. I know I rambled on alot just then but I was trying to make sure I told everything it's doing. Also it may have a k&n filter . Any and all feedback would be appreciated really wanna get this thing figured out by spring. Also could bad reeds cause these issues. Thanks All.

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_145928.jpg
    IMG_20161214_145928.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
I get going in to high gears once I get like almost to top of 4th gear it will surge and rev higher then it's actually going if that makes sense till I let off a hair and ease back in throttle lightly but steadily I can get it to accelerate fairly nice

this sounds like the clutch is slipping, as it will show more in the higher gears at higher rpms, but seem fine in the lowers.

if we get on back road to go home ............................. if you get close to wot it will sputter like it's maxed out but you know it for sure has more to go

this sounds like lean jetting or an airleak.

it needs leakdown tested, and plug chops to confirm main jetting.
what carb and jetting ? what mods and pipe ? has it been rejetted for them ?

unless you specifically jet rich for prolonged WOT while riding on roads, expect to fry it.
especially with the stock 13/40 trail gearing

Reactions: OConnor Racing