plastic and heat

2000blasternewb

Aug 4, 2009
FT. Sill, OK
How much heat can the plastic take? I got a maier race hood and well its touching the new pipe i built with the motor swap. I was wondering if the pipe can melt the plastic? I dont want to trim the hood for this pipe if I dont have to. Opinions are welcomed thank you.

dunno about meier, but if was original plasting it will weld it, burn it...
maybe u should try add some aluminium over the pipe to avoid get to much heat, or cut the plasting a lil bit so the pipe dont hurt it, not much, just a few mm or use it like it is, wait till it burns n clean up later, then once u take off the burned part it wont be necesary any mod... =)

the pipe will eventually melt thru it.i would take a little heat and try to work it around the pipe the best you can and then if its still close then put some kind of heat shield between the pipe and plastic

They make exhaust wrap. You can use a little piece in problem area or wrap the whole thing. The wrap keeps heat away from stuff and keeps heat in the pipe. Keeping heat in pipe is a good thing. Heat makes it flow better somehow.

It will eventually burn through it. Get some of that sticky heat tape and put it on your plastics. I can get a pic if you want of what im talking about.

Maier plastic are much thinner than stock. At least the ones I have seen. If it's touching the pipe it's gonna melt no matter what ya do. Maybe shim the plastic so it isn't touching and then wrap it or shield it with a piece of flashing.