Outlaw Performance/OPS Twin Cylinder Air-Cooled Blaster!

Fidel Cashflo

Sep 28, 2012
My buddy at Outlaw Performance got me a Yamaha RD250 and I have a blaster that I was building, so we got an idea to put the RD250 motor on it!

I was building a nice Blaster 67.50/Keihin 36mm/super ported cylinder/FMF pipe, some other goodies. I decided the blaster motor had to go, in the process of selling that, PM me if you know of anyone looking for a brand new rebuilt/fresh motor.

The motor is a 1974 Yamaha RD250. Although these motors are old and air cooled, they aren't outdated by any means. These were rated at 30WHP at 7500rpm, so it should be pretty rad on a blaster. So far, the plans are to ride the bike with the stock 250cc cylinders with my custom out of frame pipes. Eventually, going to get the RD400 cylinders, port them and I have 28.70mm Mikuni Round Slide carbs, gonna jet them and dial the bike in. Should be in excess of 50WHP at that point.

Time to get down to business, I had the blaster all disassembled and ready to get powdercoated. The motor fits surprisingly good on the frame, better than I thought.

I know that the bike isn't designed for this amount of power or this heavy of an engine, so I am thoroughly bracing the frame. If you have a spare frame and want to have this done, we provide a service, we sandblast your entire frame, grind down the sh*tty factory mig welds. We then TIG over the factory welds, add gussets and supports. We can also powdercoat the whole frame any color you'd like. PM me if interested.

100_0309.jpg

100_0308.jpg

100_0307.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0312.jpg

100_0311.jpg

100_0310.jpg

100_0305.jpg

blasterrd250.jpg

yamahard2502.jpg

So far the mods are:
Yamaha RD 250
-Harness
-CDI
-Coil
Custom Out of Frame Pipes
Banshee A-Arms
Banshee Spindles
Banshee Hubs
Banshee Hydro Front Brakes
Banshee Hydro Rear Brakes
Banshee Carrier
Banshee Axle
Banshee Swing Arm
Banshee Dog Bone
DG polished front bumper
Yamaha YFZ450 Rear Shock
18x10x8 Rear Tires
Aluminum Rear Carrier Skid Plate
Aluminum Front Skid Plate

Everything will be powdercoated by Sharp Customs of Tampa, Florida.

I'll post pics as I go, should be done in 2 weeks.

subscribed ... wonderin bout those a-arm mounts ... are the pics to show rewelded stock welds or did you move the mounts on the frame to accommodate Banshee arms?

This is interesting.

Id turn the heads and give that thing a mean port job before going to a 400cc. that Big may be too overkill, you would be able to get 50hp outa that 250cc twin motor. probobly very much like the blaster motor inside.

im tuned into this oneI:I

Whilst I feel that gusseting is a good idea, I am not in favour of grinding out and replacing welds.

Welding is not about how much filler you pile on top, it is about penetration, adequate fill with no undercut and controlled thermal disturbance.

Cool Build! I Mig welded over my factory welds (ones that looked crappy) and installed the gussets too!

ba99e354.jpg

I understand welding, obviously.. I don't know if you've ever taken the time to look at the mounting points for the A-Arms, they are basically tack welded. I fully welded them to ensure strength in the trails.

We'll see how it rides with the stock RD250 with just the pipes/carbs jetted appropriately. I still want the RD400 cylinders at some point.

Also forgot to add that the Banshee swing arm is going to be extended 6".

Porting, Carbs, and pipes would make that one hell of a ride!
I'm tuned in just to hear the sound of it lol