old big bear 350 wont start

mjnp06

Apr 23, 2009
michigan
hi,

i have a mid to late 80s big bear 350 4x4. it is in great condition but has set for about 6 years and wont start. i put a new battery in it and it turns over fine and will run if i spray gas in the carb. im thinking the carb needs to be cleaned out. should i take the carb completely off or just drop the bowl and spray it with carb cleaner. also, why r there 2 cables running into it?

thanks

carbs need completely removed and disassembled to properly clean them, with carb cleaner and compressed air blown thru all passages and jets, a small wire run thru the jet holes helps remove stubbern gunk

check youtube for your specific/similar model carb cleaning vids.

the 2 cables are the throttle, and probably a bar mounted choke ?

the choke is on the carb itself. the 2 cables go into a box and one cable comes out and gous to the throttle on the handlebar

you should take it off, take all the jets out and let them soak a while, then take a needle out of a wire brush and stick through all the small holes in the jets to make sure they are clear, now im not sure how the old ones were set up but the new ones have two cables- one is choke the other is throttle. choke is on the left throttle is on top(if its a slide style) or on the right side(if the slide is opened by vacuum.

i opened that box up. the cable looks to be one cable looped into the box and going to the carb with a single cable going to the throttle.

That looks to be same as a Warrior engine. Probably CV style carb. Be careful with CV diaphram. Cable could be a push/pull cable for throttle.

It is a cable that when throttle is closed it returns butterfly to closed posistion, more common on older street bikes. duel cable system. One opens throttle other closes it.