New/Rebuilt Shocks

Oregondunes

Dec 18, 2010
Oregon
www.micasa-suecasa.com
So I originally installed a set of factory trx450r shocks on Kara's bike (mated to her Snyder +3 LT arms) with the 400ex shock from my bike.

Needless to say, they were wayyyyy to stiff for her 110lb body weight.

After spending countless hours talking to just about every shock builder in the country about price, valving/springs, turn around time, etc., I found Schimdty Suspension Systems (SCHMIDTY RACING SUSPENSIONS items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!). This guy took the time to talk to me like a real consumer, rather then just "telling" me what they think I need to know. He asked lots of questions and made several suggestions.

Every other shock guy in the country wanted $350-700 to rebuild the 450r shocks and set them up triple rate and valved for 100-125 lb rider.

We settled on these facts:

My 2010 450r shocks were worth $250 on eBay all day long, being that they had limited edition factory black springs and were still like brand new. They sold "buy it now" in 48 hours after posting.

He had a set of 16.25" long works (with resi's) that were already sprung for a 150lb rider. He suggested the he remove the resi's (cause my lil gal will never race, nor ever ride her bike hard enough to make the shocks hot and need that extra fluid), drop a softer top helper spring to lighten the first 1-2 inches of bump and remove a shim and lighten the shock oil/nitrogen charge. The springs were all freshly powder coated and the bodies lightly polished (I'll make em bling like chrome after the first ride and I get the ride height setup correctly). He sold them to me for $365.00 (so it cost me $115.00 in the end)

We then spoke about the rear shock that I have.

Many of you remember seeing her bike when I won BOTM. It had a fully chromed out 400ex shock from my bike on it. It had never been rebuilt, just dolled up. There was a seller here selling a dual rate GT thunder 450r rear shock that I picked up.

I guess I should have asked first, but it looked just like her 400ex shock (kinda), so i figured it was a direct bolt on and bought the shock. The moment I got it, I chromed and polished it all without test fitting it first. While being bling'd out, I sold her old chromed out 400ex shock on eBay.

Needless to say, the 450r rear shock does not "directly" bolt on without clearancing the frame some. I was not about the start beating on her freshly powder coated frame to make it fit. So I sold that shock on eBay and found another cheap 400ex shock.

Good thing I bought that shock cheap. The seller never mentioned the shock was blown and needed rebuilt, but that gave me a great reason to do it right and set it up for her. So I chromed and polished that shock up like her last two and sent it down to Schmidty for a work over.

He replaced all of the internals, shaft and bottom clevis, valved and oiled it for a dual rate (ZPS) setup and set the nitrogen for my lil gal.

While he was waiting for my rear shock to arrive to him, he setup the front shocks as we had agreed. The rear shock took him 2 days to do (unheard of from any shock guy any time of the year in the USA). I got them all shipped back to my door in 1 week from the time my rear shock arrived there. I spent the day here this Wednesday installing them all.

All I gotta say is the ride is very soft (with my big butt on it), and Im sure once I get the ride height setup correctly with her on it, it will be as plush as my DC4/+3 LSR/20.25" quad rate TCS setup is on my 400ex for her.

If any of you are in the need of shocks rebuilt and want someone that will treat you right, talk to you like your not an idiot and shoot you a fair price, quick turn around, this is your guy.

Just before our last ride over spring break I installed a light weight aluminum axle (13 lbs total with all hubs and hardware). Shedding the steel +4 banshee one that weighed 38.5 lbs. 25 lbs of rotating mass is a HUGE hp gain to the rear wheels. This thing rips now (not that it didnt before) and is even a kick for me to ride ( I weigh 250+ lbs)

Here are some pics of them on the bike:

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

I actually bought them from a guy here locally, along with some other blaster parts he had. he too was building a blaster for his son and started collecting parts a couple of years ago. I chromed his stem, arms, swinger, 2 axles, pegs, toomey B1, shifter, brake lever & kicker like 3 years ago. needless to say, he lost interest in the project and bought a raptor 250 instead.

I picked up all those chromed parts along with a core motor, 2 frames, and tons of parts for $1000. he spent with me that in chroming services alone. I off'd all but the front end, stem and motor on eBay last year.

I spoke to Snyder just after purchase and sent them some pics of the bike. They said these were their test a-arms that they had ran at the 24 hour america race some 5+ years ago (so they got history behind em).

Someday I would like have another set built that are much lighter weight. something with 1" lowers and 3/4" uppers, chrome moly thin wall. Id like to shed about 10lbs off the front of this bike. I figure that and some JJ&A 3 spokes should do it.

The rear JJ&A axle I just installed has a set of 3 spoke rear wheels as well.

Man, that looks better then my Harley. If my blaster was that pretty and clean, I think I would have to sell it...... =). I would feel a uselessness of it. Its a quad man, Rip it thru mud ,trails, turf..... Get it and yourself dirty. Chrome is for the street, but I guess sand is not too dirty(just like sandpaper)....... NICE BIKE.