New Guy Blaster Questions

Master_Blaster1

Nov 22, 2013
Hey everybody I'm new here and just got my first blaster a couple of days ago. I payed $200 for it and it came in a bunch of boxes lol. I have mechanical skills and put it all together already for the most part just to make sure I have everything before painting. But I have some questions about odds and ends I need some help with if you guys can help me out please.

First question, since on blasters you can't replace ball joints on lower A-Arms I need a new one (shifter side), anybody have 1 for sale?

2. I'm putting the axle together and can't figure out where the 2 chain tensioners go in what holes on the bearing carrier. Can somebody please post a picture of it for me? Also is there 2 dust covers that go on the rear axle, 1 on each side?

3. I would like to Install a oil block off kit, obviously I have to remove the oil pump from the clutch side, and do I have to take the impeller out? Then install the kit, which consists of basically 2 plugs and a gasket?

4. I would like to remove the T.o.r.s system. I know there is a kit that includes a throttle cable, jets, and carb cap. I'm just not sure on the wiring of it and what to take out.

5. Can I swap blaster front brakes with banshee hydraulic brakes front and rear?

That's it for now. I will get some pics up of it perhaps tomorrow. A little about it, it's a 1998 model, the guy I bought it from re-built the engine because the oil pump failed and toasted the engine. He re-built the engine and it's bored .30 over. It's a really clean bike, just dirty is all. I'm going to sand blast almost all the parts and spray bomb them.

Hey everybody I'm new here and just got my first blaster a couple of days ago. I payed $200 for it and it came in a bunch of boxes lol. I have mechanical skills and put it all together already for the most part just to make sure I have everything before painting. But I have some questions about odds and ends I need some help with if you guys can help me out please.

First question, since on blasters you can't replace ball joints on lower A-Arms I need a new one (shifter side), anybody have 1 for sale?

2. I'm putting the axle together and can't figure out where the 2 chain tensioners go in what holes on the bearing carrier. Can somebody please post a picture of it for me? Also is there 2 dust covers that go on the rear axle, 1 on each side?

3. I would like to Install a oil block off kit, obviously I have to remove the oil pump from the clutch side, and do I have to take the impeller out? Then install the kit, which consists of basically 2 plugs and a gasket?

4. I would like to remove the T.o.r.s system. I know there is a kit that includes a throttle cable, jets, and carb cap. I'm just not sure on the wiring of it and what to take out.

5. Can I swap blaster front brakes with banshee hydraulic brakes front and rear?

That's it for now. I will get some pics up of it perhaps tomorrow. A little about it, it's a 1998 model, the guy I bought it from re-built the engine because the oil pump failed and toasted the engine. He re-built the engine and it's bored .30 over. It's a really clean bike, just dirty is all. I'm going to sand blast almost all the parts and spray bomb them.

1. Some one may PM you when you have enough posts for the privalige. Post a wanted ad in marketplace same conditions apply.

2. The adjusters go on the lower bolt on the carrier. . This may help.. http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/

03+ supplement:
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/03-06-blaster-repair-manual-supplement-1916/

I know of no dust covers on the rear axle! If you mean oil seals they fit outside the bearings.

3. Either remove the pump or disable it by removing the plastic gear.

4. Different years have different methods, have a search for the removal of yours. I believe on a 88 you just unplug the connections, but I may be wrong

5. Plain an simple , no! Talk to Awk08 about a rear setup.

Oil pumps seldom if ever fail, they are usually blamed for operator error.

More than likely the PO had and air leak and ran lean which cooked the piston.

Leak tests should be done as soon as you buy the bike and at least twice a season.