New Blaster Owner w/ Engine Rebuild Question

F

foggysps

Hi I just bought my 1st Blaster ever in October and I am brand new to this forum.
Last week my piston locked up in the cylinder. I tore down the top end and found that the intake side of the the piston skirt had broken off. I found about 1/8th of the skirt pieces in my exhaust, scoring on the piston and cylinder, and a single crack on the bottom half of 1 case. I know why the piston cracked (excessive cylinder to piston clearance). My question is this:

A) Anyone know of a good machine shop preferably in Massachusetts, Rhode Island or New England area? I would rather use a shop that specialized in motorcycles, MX, ATV, snowmobiles and not automotive.

B) Can I get away with not rebuilding the bottom end or splitting cases? (maybe just flushing the motor extensively and turning it upside down)

C)How can I tell what in the bottom end is out of spec? (crank, main bearings, ....) What needs to get measured and mic'd

Thanks so much and sorry for the possibly stupid questions. Also I plan on doing all the work myself and am mechanically inclined to do the work plus will be buying the Yamaha factory service manual.

You should split the cases for sure, but if you new to these then you shouldn't do it yourself. I know where there are some good machining shops up here in vermont, but that might be a long travel for you. Ask your local dealer about machine shops, they should know of some in your area.

Definitely split the case. You can never be too sure that all of the debris is out until you see for yourself. I too am mechanically inclined and believe that the only way to learn is to do it. Pull it apart, but just label all of the pieces you take out and make notes. Since im in texas, i cant tell you where to go for machining, but i can tell you that the cost shouldn't be more than the $50 neighborhood. Also, WSM makes a top end rebuild kit that i got for $89 that has all gaskets, piston, rings, clips, a bearing, and so forth. The piston i got was .040 over. Good luck!

Thank you very much guys!
That is awesome information....
I began the process this weekend but got stuck once I tried to take off the primary gear. I basically need a few things:
1) Impact wrench
2) Universal clutch holder
3) Universal rotor/stator holder
4) Stator puller

You may try..

Pitboss, he's not too far and knows this type of sh*t inside and out. His prices are are pretty good, too.

You gotta split it. So you need to be up to iy or find someone.

A