Need Alot of help! Ez questions im sure! NOOB

R

rcmcfann

Whats up everyone my buddies blaster sat outside of my house for over a year and I was bored one day and decided to get it running. I dont know ANYTHING about these little things but it sure is fun! I need to do some routine maintenence, i believe its a 98? somewhere around there its older. What size engine does it have? How do i change the oil, and gear fluid and what types do i want to use. I also would like some help on some cheap mods to make this thing quicker! I dont want to spend really any money since its not mine, but i dont want to screw it up. It runs strong, started up on the second kick after a year! Anything will help

its a 200cc listed, i think its truely 198? someone correct me if im wrong, you get 80w gear oil, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the engine, you remove that and the opil thats in it now will kome out, re-install the drain plug and refill per the CC measurement cast on the case of the engine, drain all the gass out, run 40:1 or 50:1 if it has no oil injection, and if it still does, ditch it and do the afore mentioned,if you decide to keep it make sure you run minimum 91-93 octane pump gas, and lastly make sure the oil you put in it is for injector systems

first thing i would do is spray it with some rust crap for the chain and the rest if its been sitting outside for ages,if u get a pic of it 4 us we could prob tell u something..............cheers

just what I needed! thanks alot! There are a few plugs on the top of the engine case on the right side. Can I fill the 80w gear oil in any of these???? one last thing, the gear oil lubricates the engine and the gear case?

Yea i did, i tightened the rear end cuz the chain was gettin looser and looser the more i rode, i still have about 1/2in of play in the bolts.

the gear oil lubes the transmission, the oil in the fuel lubricates the rotating assembly (piston/crank/rod/wristpin), there is a plug on the right side where you fill the gear oil at it has a raised center, its pretty simple to find (looks like this __I__) you get the idea, make sure you use MOTORCYCLE GEAR OIL, eitehr Bel-ray or Silkolene, you get it at your local shop, if it has a tank at the rear of the quad that you access under the seat, it still has oil injection, thats where the injector oil goes, if that tank is non-existent then you mix your oil/gas yourself, and you you MOTORCYCLE 2 STROKE OIL, and if you mixe 8oz. to 5usgal. thats 40:1

It's a 195cc. :)
If you have an Owner's Manual, I'd suggest you read up.
It'll tell you how to oil the chain and all. If you need the manual, I think I may have a digital version. I:I

its a 200cc listed, i think its truely 198? someone correct me if im wrong, you get 80w gear oil, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the engine, you remove that and the opil thats in it now will kome out, re-install the drain plug and refill per the CC measurement cast on the case of the engine, drain all the gass out, run 40:1 or 50:1 if it has no oil injection, and if it still does, ditch it and do the afore mentioned,if you decide to keep it make sure you run minimum 91-93 octane pump gas, and lastly make sure the oil you put in it is for injector systems

Yamaha reccomends running 30w Yamalube, NOT 80w, that's a big difference. Make sure to fill the case with oil to the marks on the sight plug on the bottom of the right side of the case. Make sure that the oil you put in it does not have any friction modifier in it at all as lots of the gear oils do. It will ruin the clutch if you don't pay attention to this important detail. Fill the tank with some good gas when you're done draining the tank and be sure to use premium (as per Yamaha's reccomendation). I wouldn't bother with blocking off the oil injection to begin with just to get it running. You might have the carburetor cleaned by a friend or small engines shop that knows a bit about them and put a new plug in it. I (think) it takes a B6ES NGK plug. Pull out the old one and check it to make sure. You can get them at the local auto parts store. Check your air filter too. You may need to get a new one. Make sure that if you do get a new one to oil it with some PJ1 or equivalent air filter oil. I think my OEM filter cost $20 at the local ATV shop.

Good luck!

Yamaha reccomends running 30w Yamalube, NOT 80w, that's a big difference. Make sure to fill the case with oil to the marks on the sight plug on the bottom of the right side of the case. Make sure that the oil you put in it does not have any friction modifier in it at all as lots of the gear oils do. It will ruin the clutch if you don't pay attention to this important detail. Fill the tank with some good gas when you're done draining the tank and be sure to use premium (as per Yamaha's reccomendation). I wouldn't bother with blocking off the oil injection to begin with just to get it running. You might have the carburetor cleaned by a friend or small engines shop that knows a bit about them and put a new plug in it. I (think) it takes a B6ES NGK plug. Pull out the old one and check it to make sure. You can get them at the local auto parts store. Check your air filter too. You may need to get a new one. Make sure that if you do get a new one to oil it with some PJ1 or equivalent air filter oil. I think my OEM filter cost $20 at the local ATV shop.

Good luck!

Yamaha also considers jumping and riding wheelies on your quad a void of warranty if i remember right.

Yamaha also considers jumping and riding wheelies on your quad a void of warranty if i remember right.

Lets put it this way. My Blaster has never had anything in it other than Yamaha oils and Yamaha parts short of the small mod list in my signature. It's a 2000 and it's never been rebuilt, only had the carb cleaned once, and still runs and rides like I just drove it off the showroom floor. It's absolutely the most durable, indestructible machine I've ever ridden, especially for being 7 years old. Using OEM fluids and parts has made it last this long in great condition, I've got no reason to stop now or advise anyone else to do any differently.

I really appreciate all of your guys help!!! Im mounting a 12oclock bar on the back i ripped out all the stuff under the seat to open it up a little bit it runs great!!! Ill post some stunt pics/vids up soon. Be Sure to check it out@!

Hopefully by "all the stuff under the seat" you don't mean the stock air box. This isn't like your fuel injected car, you can't expect to modify it and it adapt to the extra airflow because it has no computer or fuel injectors. This is a carbureted bike and you have to rejet in order to keep from running too lean. I just hope you realize this before you blow it up.

I just took off the air filter because it was so damn dirty!!!!! how will I know if its running too lean? its been running great!

the front headlight works, but there is a short. how can i get a wiring diagram.

umm you ned to clean your air filter or buy a new one and put it on because thats what keeps dirt out of your carb and motor.

I just took off the air filter because it was so damn dirty!!!!! how will I know if its running too lean? its been running great!

Running without an air filter or the airbox it's jetted for will cause it to run too lean.

The way you tell the air/fuel mixture is by pulling the spark plug. If it's got a dark soot color it's running rich, white powder color it's running lean, and light brown is just right.

alright, somehow the filter came up missing. I put the top of the box back on it and its running good. The plug is light brown so its running good. I want to start mixing the fuel myself. Do I have to do anything special to take off the oil resevior? or can i just snip the tubes and do it negro style.