Krylon Fusion Clear coat?

Mborso1029

Oct 2, 2009
SouthEast MI
Just did the restore on my old plastics, for my project ive started and instead of the furniture floor polish, i wanted to go with something a little more Durable. i see that krylon sells a clear coat for there plastic fusion line, i was wondering if anyone has tried this without painting, just to bring some of the shine back to the dull out plastics. they look 100% after the refurbishing with steel wool and some wax and grease remover, but i do wanna try to get the shine back. i bought a can of Rustoleum clear, im gonna try it on the back side of something to see how that holds up, i couldnt find the krylon clear at any stores tonight, i did however find it to order online and just wondering if its worth the wait, or if ill be fine with the stuff i bought that isnt FOR "plastics"

matt

Man i used some clear fusion on my gas tank and ya it was beautiful and i spent like 9 hours on the gas tank cause it got more beautiful with each passing wet sand!!!! Looked like a brand new ferrari... But one night with a little bit of hurrry putting gas in i spilled about 10 drops on the tank and it efffedd it all up... I mean it was disaster and wiping it just smeared and made worse.. i dont know what the solution is but if using krylon it works great!!! but be careful and spread a rag around the tank when gassing up!!!! It didnt hurt the Krylon paint but it screwed the clear coat and made it look like sh*t but the clear on the fenders, hood and tail are beasty i love em.. Im about to paint and clear everything again.. but im taping off the little section around where the gas cap is... Other than that try it or any clear should work and you should love it!!... My wal mart carries krylon fusion colors and clear!

what were the exact steps you took when you did yours like....paper grit, time before coats. i was at walmart earlier and all they had were the colors, no clear also tried home depot and murrays oreilys with no luck. is the gloss....too much gloss?

what were the exact steps you took when you did yours like....paper grit, time before coats. i was at walmart earlier and all they had were the colors, no clear also tried home depot and murrays oreilys with no luck. is the gloss....too much gloss?

Well i had painted mine first and added about 4-5 coats of paint and wet sanded between the last two coats. Now when i did the clear i wet sanded with 800 between coats and did 4 coats on the fenders and hood. The tank i did like 6 or 7 coats. My reasoning for the multiple coats is with the metallic paint it added depth with the additional clear coats. Just make sure you prep your plastics right. Theres a DIY on prepping and painting in the DIY section.

Man i used some clear fusion on my gas tank and ya it was beautiful and i spent like 9 hours on the gas tank cause it got more beautiful with each passing wet sand!!!! Looked like a brand new ferrari... But one night with a little bit of hurrry putting gas in i spilled about 10 drops on the tank and it efffedd it all up... I mean it was disaster and wiping it just smeared and made worse.. i dont know what the solution is but if using krylon it works great!!! but be careful and spread a rag around the tank when gassing up!!!! It didnt hurt the Krylon paint but it screwed the clear coat and made it look like sh*t but the clear on the fenders, hood and tail are beasty i love em.. Im about to paint and clear everything again.. but im taping off the little section around where the gas cap is... Other than that try it or any clear should work and you should love it!!... My wal mart carries krylon fusion colors and clear!

had the EXACT same thing happen. only with the white plastics, where it effed up the clear it also died it to an off-white and looked like total sh*t! that was a real pain in the ass to undo X(

i just used some cheap wax i had laying in the garage after a good steel wool job....man does that just look a 100X better. i mean it looks like i sprayed a good semi gloss on it which is the look i was going for with the clear coat. im gonna get a good compound and a DA from work tomarrow and wax it real good, im hopin it'll come out better that way and i wont have to worry about the gas issues