im new, any help would be appreciated

greasemonkey

Jan 3, 2012
Kingsport, TN
so im new to fourwheelin and workin on them but i am mechanically inclined so i have a better understanding of these things than some people but not as good as others. I recently purchased a 04 blasty for $600. bone stock, i took the baffle out, which felt like it opened it up... power band kicked a little harder... then i took the airbox lid off, same thing, less 2 stroke stutter and power band kicked harder, it now will bout pull the front wheels with little effort in 3rd gear. i just ordered a jet kit from jets r us which goes from 230 to 370 or something like that. which jet would be ideal for my mods and is there anything else i could do for more power with little cost. (wanna get the easy cheap stuff done before i start sinking money into this beast):)

You need to read up on the stickys at the top of each section. The most important things to read up on are jetting and doing a leak test. Lean cost green.

Yep, right now by removing the airbox lid you're running lean, do not continue until you rejet it, or its gonna fry
Search on here for .....
Jetting 101,
Plug chops,
Leaktesters,
Pipe review,

Then read and learn all you can while waiting on your jets

You opened it up pretty much to only go up 1 size jet. Im pretty sure these come with a 230 stock. Read more and plug chop.

Welcome to BF I:I Either buy a Clymers or find the download manual on here. Read up on jetting and follow threads to educate yourself. :D Also if you live where it's cold you have to jet for weather also.

Ok so look over the fact of me saying that im mechanically inclned. I've only read a few posts on plug chopping but what im getting from it is that its just a test procedure to see how your running and cutting the threads off ur spark plug isn't going to give more power correct? Im just makin sure I understand this correctly and if im running lean with my airbox lid removed I shouldn't do anything drastic whit my jets, maybe go from 230 to 250 and would timing advance serve any help for me. And I don't want to butcher my motor, not planning on boring or stoking it but have though about porting the head, is it worth the power increase or should I save my money and do like a hybusa engine swap (just a joke) or something else. I don't hit sand dunes, mostly mountain and rocky trails with the occasional mud hole

Plug chop is a test to check if jetting is good, white/gray plug means you have lean fuel to air mix and your main jet is too low. Black/brown plug and your too heavy on fuel over air and must go down.
A cardboard brown color on the plug is perfect.
Too lean (Too much air over fuel) means you're running with too little lubrication and run the risk of blowing your topend and wallet.
You run the risk of running lean when modifying the intake(Bigger filter/ modifying the airbox or removing the lid) without jetting, modifying the exhaust system (aftermarket or custom head pipe and silencer) without jetting and non intentional airleaks (Base gasket/ head gasket/intake manifold cracked/ head bolt stripped)
Porting, head and cylinder is the best bang for the buck when it comes to motor performance but there's no point in having a firebreathing blaster when the stock suspension is throwing you around. Some banshee front shocks or works front shocks and 400ex rear or 250r rear are great, cheap upgrades.

If I'm reading your above post correct........

Cutting off the plug treads is to veiw the "smoke ring" thats what tells you what jetting adjustments are needed, not the overall color if the plug,
And then that plug is wasted, not put back in with the threads cut off

Ok so look over the fact of me saying that im mechanically inclned. I've only read a few posts on plug chopping but what im getting from it is that its just a test procedure to see how your running and cutting the threads off ur spark plug isn't going to give more power correct? Im just makin sure I understand this correctly and if im running lean with my airbox lid removed I shouldn't do anything drastic whit my jets, maybe go from 230 to 250 and would timing advance serve any help for me. And I don't want to butcher my motor, not planning on boring or stoking it but have though about porting the head, is it worth the power increase or should I save my money and do like a hybusa engine swap (just a joke) or something else. I don't hit sand dunes, mostly mountain and rocky trails with the occasional mud hole

I would go with the port & polish! Best bang for your buck besides getting a full exhaust, and new filter. I got mine ported and head cut to match & it made a world of a difference! I was amazed how much it improved... Look around and get quotes then go from there. PS- welcome!

Ok just making sure I was understanding that process correctly and there wasn't some hidden "mr miagi" technique to it lol. Im still skeptical about boring it out at the moment cause I like having room to improve, head port and polish is a deffinate in the near future. I have already had a leak test done by some idiot up the road. Thank you all for all the help, very much appreciated. I think since I do hit mud im gonna put some holes in my airbox lid and I just got my k&n filter in the mailbox this mornn. Like I said all is appreciated and I know there is a lot to learn from y'all, and thanks for the input on the suspension I didn't really even consider that factor, glad it was brought upI:I