How to test current?

bag0b0nez

Aug 19, 2008
egg harbor township, new jersey
how do i see what volatage sh*t is coming out of my stator and cdi?
what are the specs supposed to be on this test?
what wires do i have to do it with?
what setting should i have the meter on when i do the test.
please help.

how do i see what volatage sh*t is coming out of my stator and cdi?
what are the specs supposed to be on this test?
what wires do i have to do it with?
what setting should i have the meter on when i do the test.
please help.

what you do is get a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) and you test the resistance of the stator (ohms) and if it is way out of spec then you gatta get a new one

braaaptor knows about this sh*t, he posted on it last week, contact him and get him to re-post here

here it is....originally posted by the small engine wizard..BRAAAPTOR

Damn, man. I know how that feels. Electrical problems suck. X(X( Your intermittent spark problem is quite likely due to a bad ignition coil. Many times, the high-tension lead (heavy wire that goes from the coil to the spark plug) develops an internal break. Coils can also develop an internal short or open circuit. Either of these faults will result in an intermittent spark at the plug. The coil only fires when the bad connection happens to be made. Which isn't very often, as I'm sure your exhausted right leg can attest. :D

Do this: Turn the keyed ignition switch (if used) and handlebar switches 'ON'. Unhook the spark plug wire from the plug and remove the spark plug from the engine. Next, find that one-and-only orange wire that attaches to the coil. Unplug it, and go get your 12V test light. (You can buy one for about $ 15.00 at the local auto parts store, or Sears, or....).
(awk....i got a little red digital multimeter at harbor freight for $3)

Stab the plug on the orange coil wire with the pointed end of your test light. Ground the other end of the test light (with the wire/clamp) out against the engine. Be sure you have a SECURE connection. Now, kick the engine over and watch the test light. The bulb in the test light should blink once for every revolution the engine makes. In other words, the light should flash 'in sync' with the rotations of the crankshaft. This test will tell you whether or not you're getting the required 12 volt 'signal' from the CDI box to the coil every time the piston reaches TDC. If the light blinks steadily, replace your coil. It is defective. The CDI box is sending its 12V pulse to the coil, as it should, but the coil is unable to properly transform it.

Nothing, or an inconsistent blink of the test light, indicates that your ignition coil is not recieving its proper trigger pulse from the other components of the bike's ignition system. Time to pull out the ohm meter and do some resistance checks on the exciter and trigger coils. I'd also test the ignition coil for good measure, just to be sure that it is indeed still good. If these coils test OK (see a Clymer manual for the resistence specs), all connections are clean/tight, and you can't find any bare wires that are accidentally touching the frame, replace your CDI box. It can be ruled faulty if everything else in the ignition system tests good.

good stuff braaaptor/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

what the hell is a "light measurer thing"???? you need a muti-meter, available at hardware, auto, lowes and harbor freight stores, and if you do the procedures listed above it will either confirm or eliminate the cdi from the problem, as for the stator coils, there should be a known resistance listed in the manual, do what yb said, hook the black lead of the meter to the black wire at the plug coming out of the flywheel cover, up near the fuel shuoff, follow the wires, and put the red wire to the other wires and take a ohms reading, check those readings to the ones in the manual, if they are considerably lower ohms, or read zero ohms then theres your problem, but braptors way shows ya how to do it with the voltage output,
if you cant understand this????either google "using a mutimeter to test ohms and voltages" or take it somewhere to get tested