how to permanently fix a sheared shift star

samolia

Jul 13, 2008
Alger, Michigan
ok there may be some of you who like me almost freaked out a little at the sight of your sheared or in my case sheared and broken shifter shaft.
now what happened is that the keyway that holds the shift star in place sheared and when it sheared it took a chunk out of my shift drum shaft with it talk about a bummer...
anyways it was accually a cheap fix..only cost like 2 cents in welding wire lol..

ok in this first pic you can see that the shaft has a chunk missing out of it (i know the pic is fuzzy but believe be its broken)

help1.jpg

ok i dont take to many pics while i work so i drew this up with ms paint lol

help2.jpg

so when you put the star back into place like the pic represents that is when you get out the welder we used a MIG welder and it worked great.
you wanna make sure you get good penetration and make sure you dont weld on the fingers on the star if you do then just file them off..
but this is kinda what you wanna go for..
help4.jpg

now the final pic i bet you are wondering why i divided it into 4 parts and that is because of HEAT!!!
im pretty sure these parts are cast and i dont have much experient with cast so to be on the safe side i divided the star into quarters like i welded in area #1 then i went to #2 and so on and i gave the part like a 20 second cool down period between steps so i didnt over heat the part....
help5.jpg

and after that give the part a little while to cool down and then throw you blaster back together and GET BACK TO HAVING FUN!!!!

Last edited:
ok give you that but what about the bearing, slim chance but maybe never, may have to be replaced down the road. do you know if that comes off the other side or not? I know I read that some one welded on there blaster because of a key, now they regret it. think it was in the motor section (don't weld on a blaster) I think.

ok give you that but what about the bearing, slim chance but maybe never, may have to be replaced down the road. do you know if that comes off the other side or not? I know I read that some one welded on there blaster because of a key, now they regret it. think it was in the motor section (don't weld on a blaster) I think.

no that wasnt the reason why i think he fried something electrical or something but idk...
and that bearing slids right out when you seperat the cases and even in my CLYMER manual they leave the shift star installed when sliting the cases and the bearing is left on the shift drum all my clymer manual says is that you have to make sure the peaks of the star are lined up with the case slots..

i hope i have answered all of your questions to your liking I:I

here is that topic you were talking about the thing that this person welded on was the crank to secure the holding nut not the shift star..