how much smoke should be coming out the exhaust?

dirtrider604

Nov 14, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
i recently got a new top end bored 20 over on my 01 blasty. it seems to run fine but barely smokes at all (good or bad?). on my kdx200 however, smokes a lot more, but not an exessive amount. so my question is should my blaster be smoking more or should the kdx be smoking less?
the kdx has been professionally jetted at a shop but i have no idea on the blaster and i really dont want to destroy a new top end build ($530 inc labor). i know this is bad but i dont know the jet sizes for either machine. any help is appreciated

Stock jetting is 220-230 depends on year, I'd make sure a 230 is in there and the pilot should be 32.5 that is also stock. Unless you have aftermarket pipe, carb or reeds, that should be good for u.

I'm gonna say you should be about 270-290 main jet. And yes it will have a number stamped or engraved on it!

Oh and Do a Air leak test as you had the top end off! This will affect your jetting!

14mqc1y.jpg

Did You buy the bike already modded or did you perform the mods yourself? Definitely check the jetting, I agree that you should be in the 270-290 range

the only mods ive done myself are getting it bored out and new chain/sprockets that i put on. it had all of the other mods on it when i got it. i had the shop inspect it when it was being bored and they said that it was in good condition.... when i got the top end done, the shop should have performed all the necessary tests to make sure everything works properly. but im going back to pick up some bolts i had to special order for it and i can double check. it wont be ridden for a while anyways. i have to adjust the chain and fix the brakes

I'd bet a paycheck the shop doesn't leak test a motor! Take a chance and you'll be handing them more money for another rebuild!

as for the smoking.......neither of my bikes, when warmed up, barely smoke at all,
as they are jetted spot on

so that could mean that my jettin is accurate on the blaster. i know i need to check just to make sure though

You do need to check if the jetting is correct by performing plug chops.

You cannot rely on the amount of smoke produced as a guide to correct jetting, you could be smoking a lot, but lean on the jet or needle and suffer detonation resulting in a fried motor. :(

The amount of smoke has very little to do with diagnosis of correct jetting.

A properly jetted motor can produce a lot of smoke or none, depending on the amount of oil in the pre mix, or your style of riding.