exhaust leak

jaddict

Dec 18, 2011
NORTHWEST INDIANA
I have a small leak from were the flange and the header slide into each other. The only time I notice it is when a rev the motor ,I get a puff of smoke. Its a fmf sst header. Fmf says to seal it with high temp permatex, Which i did, but it only lasted for a week. I can peel the silicone right of. Whats the best way to seal this and is there any damage that can result from this leak? I wouldn't think it would affect the jetting as far as rich or lean. Any info would be great.

mine does that too, but only when cold, i dont notice it when it warms up, and as far as i know it won't cause problems, just a little messy if excess oil leaks out... someone on here mentioned that high tack spray-a-gasket stuff from permetex would work for the exhaust flange....

i use permatex red RTV. make sure both the flange and pipe are very clean before assembly. a small leak will not hurt anything. but for best performance the exhaust should be sealed from cylinder to silencer.

Thanks for the info guys, I also used the red permatex . I cleaned it good ,but not good enough I guess.

they can be a real pain sometimes. if its only a minor leak and you can live with it, its not going to hurt anything. make sure to use 2 good heavy springs also.