Custom Airbox? Help

teamcrackitrace

Apr 13, 2011
Hello ya'll. I'm new to the Blaster forum here and such. My friend has an 04 blaster laying around ever since he sold the airbox out of it for money to work on his yfz/ He has since sold the yfz, and I wanna get the blaster running. So I decided to fab up an airbox and wanted to get your opinions on a couple of things. I made the box 8" tall, 9" long, and 6.75" wide. This is about the same as the factory airbox, except this one is rectangular because he has the oil blockoff kit. What I need to know is; what kind of air filter will work on this? I've seen very small ones on ebay that only have about a 1.5" inlet diameter. However, on the project blastr site, their air filter takes up the whole box, which looks like its the same size my box is. What kind of filter should i use? It seems like i could use a cone cylinder from a car to work, has anybody done that before? Also, how do most people patch these back to the carb? He has a 30mm carb on it. I was thinking that PVC pipe would work, especially since its light and cheap. RUn PVC from the airfilter through the box back to the carb, and then attach the PVC to the carb with some rubber hosing. Has anybody done a setup like this? Any help is appreciated!

I would run a UNI filter, look at there site. I would pick the biggest one you can fit in the box....

It wont hurt it if I run too big of an air filter, will it? Because in that case I will just go to advance auto and pick out a K&N :p

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure. Any ideas how to cheaply patch a 3" diameter filter back to a 30 mil (~1.3") carb?

duct tape, rubber plumbing fittings and pvc from home depot homie lol I:I I:I

Lol.... that's how I was thinking i could do it.... i see a lot of people like to run metal piping back but this fourwheeler isn't the nicest blaster around, but it sure is fast. I think that's what I'll do then.... large automotive K&N air filter, back through pvc piping, and attached to the carb with automotive rubber hosing :p

be sure to run the piping first, so you can get a filter with the proper size inlet,
and heres what i and alot of us do for the pipe to carb connection............

Intake Pipe Reducer

fernco fttings from lowes or depot work too, but don't come in as many sizes as these silocons

3f33a9a8.jpg

This is my setup. The filter has a 3" inlet. At the filter, I used a 3x2 adapter . Pipe and connecters are 2" PVC . The part for the carb is a 2"x 1.5 rubber adapter. I think the bends are listed as 22 degree . I'm running an OKO 30mm carb and it fits great.

3f33a9a8.jpg

This is my setup. The filter has a 3" inlet. At the filter, I used a 3x2 adapter . Pipe and connecters are 2" PVC . The part for the carb is a 2"x 1.5 rubber adapter. I think the bends are listed as 22 degree . I'm running an OKO 30mm carb and it fits great.
that i really nice set up

to the guy building this , why not pick up a cfm airbox off ebay i think you can get one for 90 shipped

Thanks guys. And yeah lol that's eseentially what mines going to look like. I found an old air filter off a ford ranger. Im patching that through my airbox with a leftover piece of 3" exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe is connected to a piece of rubber flex pipe from an old exhaust hose from a garage, which is connected to a piece of 3" pvc. The pvc is running into a 3" to 2" fernco fitting, which is connected to a piece of rubber coolant hose. This is then connected to the outside of the carb. It definitly passes a lot of air though, so its going to defly need a jet up! And im doing this because im an engineering student ( a poor one at that) and i just like making stuff. We literally have less than 20 bucks in materials, and it looks like the F7 airbox and some pvc. The other reason is my friend already has 3 atv's, so this one is just a spare to have around lol.

Thanks guys. And yeah lol that's eseentially what mines going to look like. I found an old air filter off a ford ranger. Im patching that through my airbox with a leftover piece of 3" exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe is connected to a piece of rubber flex pipe from an old exhaust hose from a garage, which is connected to a piece of 3" pvc. The pvc is running into a 3" to 2" fernco fitting, which is connected to a piece of rubber coolant hose. This is then connected to the outside of the carb. It definitly passes a lot of air though, so its going to defly need a jet up! And im doing this because im an engineering student ( a poor one at that) and i just like making stuff. We literally have less than 20 bucks in materials, and it looks like the F7 airbox and some pvc. The other reason is my friend already has 3 atv's, so this one is just a spare to have around lol.

Have any pics of the final product? Sounds nice.

I will try to take a few pictures when I go home this weekend. Hoepfully the blaster will have life again this weekend! It has sat for about 1.5 years