custom +1.5" steering stem

myusername

Jun 9, 2010
Marysville, Ohio
okay guys, i finally got around to doing what i planned with my steering stem, but i was ancy to get it finished and didnt get many pics so hopefully i can explain it well enough so you guys can see what i did. my stock steering stem was bent up at the top, and i got a replacement from a member off of here, and wanted to try something different. what i did was cut the bent steering stem 4 1/2" from the bottom, and the straight stem 3" from the bottom with a band saw. here is a pic to show you, but the marks on the stems arent right in this pic. i had to move them up because the band saw wouldnt let me clamp the stem in that close with the tie rod mount.
Image1.jpg

the one with the paint mostly missing is the straight one, and the other is the bent one
after i cut the stems, i found a piece of steel that fit fairly tight inside the stem. i tacked that to the bottom portion, and where the tack weld was there was a little bulge that kept the two pieces from completely touching, so i could fill in the gap with the weld, and all three pieces would be welded together. just had to make sure it was all straight where it should be first.
Image2.jpg

i am not a very good mig welder, so my welds dont look the best but i am confident that they are strong enough. here is the final product before i smooth it out and lay some paint on it.
Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

nice job man, question, is that your bike with the hot chick on it by chance, oor is it just a similar bike, i notice it still has stock exhaust which yours doesnt, just curious lol

nice job man, question, is that your bike with the hot chick on it by chance, oor is it just a similar bike, i notice it still has stock exhaust which yours doesnt, just curious lol

lol i get that alot. i'm gonna be honest so the interweb police dont come and arrest me and say its not mine. i wish. and if it snaps it is my ass, i'm well aware of that. just have a little faith. and if i remember right, the person who extended theirs 2" did it a little different

Last edited: