Counter Shaft Seal Fix

Pilotnut

Jun 13, 2011
New Jersey
The blaster I recently acquired was leaking a substantial amount of oil from the counter shaft seal (on the brighter side, it kept my chain perfectly oiled) however it needed to be repaired. I bought a new seal, removed the chain and sprocket and prepared to pull the bad seal. Much to my suprise the current (bad) seal was pushed almost completely into the case. Perfect! easy removal! I gently dug the seal out with a pick and briefly pondered what on earth could have happened to this seal to cause this damage.

Unfortunately the seal was pushed so far into the case that it was contacting the bearing beneath and I observed some minor scoring of the ball retainer. IMO, the damage didn't look severe enough to warrant a case-splitting so I moved forward with the seal job.

I greased the inner lip of the new seal, found a deep-well socket with the perfect outside diameter to act as my install tool and slid the seal over the counter shaft. As I gently pushed the seal into the case I felt none, zip, zilch, zero resistence, the seal atually passed effortlessly directly into the case. DOH! My first thought was that I received the incorrect seal from the dealer. A quick look-up online confirmed that it was the correct seal. My best guess is that when the old seal went bad it actuall began spinning in the case and wearing the bore.

Facing a costly repair, I began looking for less costly alternatives. My toolbox provided the answer. Liquid Nails "Perfect Glue" (can be purchased at Home Depo). It adheres to both metal and rubbber, it dries quickly, is oil resistant and remains clear and pliable when fully cured. I have used this glue for other applications and have been very pleased with the results. I cleaned both surfaces thoroughly and applied a small amount of adhesive to the case. Once the seal was properly seated, I applied another thin layer of adhesive to the area where the seal meets the case to fill any remaining gaps and help create a more positive seal.

I know it wasn't the ideal solution, but it seems to be holding up quite well. Plus, if I ever need to replace the seal again, it should be easy enough to remove the seal and the glue.

Pnut

sounds like this "perfect glue" is just like "GOOP"
i use it for things like you did, a stripped drain plug, my grips, and even as a threadlocker when out of the good stuff as it stays pliable, but holds like all hell
good save bro !!!!!