Carb issue

Sruiz67

May 1, 2013
San Antonio, TX
When I bought my blaster. It would only run well, if I took the air box cover off. If it was on it would sound bogged out when you would hit the accelerator. So I left it off. Now I am wondering why this is? Could it be a needle adjustment? Maybe to much gas with the lid on and is wanton more air? Idk? I am wondering what the smart guys think? Please let me know your thoughts.

Start off by making sure you have a clean air filter. Pull the carb off and clean it well inside. Post what main size jet you have. Normally you have to jump up in jet size when you remove the lid. List any other upgrades that have been done to the engine.

230 main. 32.5 idle. Clean as hell carb and filter. Bike is bone stock but just installed new wiseco 66.50 piston, but this issue was before and still persist.

Float level of 20 - 21.5mm.

Make sure the carby is not flooding.

Is the snorkel free of debris, I had a mate that carried a cleaning rag under the seat, needless to say the snorkel grabbed it.

Needle on middle slot, 32.5 pilot jet.

Adjust idle.

Idle adjusting.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor to responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

I apreciate all the help guys. I'm waiting on some new parts so as soon as I get them and put stuff together. I'm sure I will have all sorts of questions. I am mechanically inclined but this is my first blaster. Love it, but I want it running perfect. Trying to get my lady inthused about it ,but she hasn't taken the bait yet.