*Carb cleaning help*

*Quad*King*1986

Oct 23, 2011
Bucks county, PA
I will be installing a used carb I recently bought off eBay, so I want to clean it out and try to get it as new looking as possible. I pretty much know how to disassemble/reassemble everything EXCEPT the choke plunger and floats, I've never messed with these 2 things before since I'm rather new to carb cleaning. If I just unscrew the float bowl,main,pilot jet,and splash guard, can I soak it like that to get it clean & then do a wipe down/compressed air? Or will carb cleaner destroy any plastic pieces, or gaskets not removed? The carb in question is a 34mm Kiehin PJ... And I believe the the choke plunger also controls the idle by turning it left & right, is that how I also remove it? Any help will be appreciated!

Oh and I forgot to say, I know how to remove the needle, needle holder, and I believe its called the "slide" (metal thing that moves up and down in the center that holds the needle & drops it down into the jet) lol sorry for my lack of knowledge.

You can take a little bit of xylene based carburetor cleaner (the really good stuff) and spray it on a paper towel and then rub the rubber tip on the paper towel. Don't spray the carb cleaner directly onto the needle as it will cause the rubber tip to swell and not work right.

If you look down into the needle seat hole and notice any discoloration, you should probably clean that out too. The easiest way is using a standard cotton swab (Q-tip) and some abrasive toothpaste (the gritty kind). You can apply the toothpaste to the cotton swab and then spin it around and around inside the seat. The final step is to clean the toothpaste out of the hole and that can be done easily with carburetor cleaner and LIGHT compressed air.

Haha thanks, I'll give ya some green for that extra effort. I was thinking to myself "damn this video answered specifically my only 2 question, what are the odds?" thanks again, I got everything apart now with no problems! It didn't realize how easy it was until seeing someone else do it first. I just gotta run & get some cleaner from the store

Holy crap!!! You we're kidding about the carb cleaner making rubber swell up, I forgot to remove the float bowl gasket and it damn near doubled in size lol. It sat flush originally now it's raised up a bit, can I re-use it? It don't look too bad but I don't want any gas leaks