Broke a piece of my block off, Repairable? Does oil run through this area? Clutch arm cylinder

JediMind76

Jun 10, 2015
Hey fellow riders,

I bought this 2006 blaster for cheap because the clutch was not engaging properly. From comparing the clutch arm to my brothers blaster I notice that the arm is not moving the full capacity on mine and has heavy resistance when attempting to move the arm to the right as much as possible. My brothers moves freely the full motion.There is a ball bearing that is suppose to go in between the two push rods that go through the engine from the clutch to the clutch arm. I read online that that is someone mistakenly puts that push rod in between the last push rod and the clutch arm then it can eventually melt and jam the clutch arm.

I was thinking this could be the problem. I purchased a cheap smart phone endoscope with an LED on the end and dropped it down to see the inside cylinder. There was what looked like extra metal inside the cylinder. I attempted to remove the extra metal with a drill bit and cracked the block! This seemed like a good idea at the time but definitely was not, the aluminum is very thin in this area. I attached a picture of the cracked portion of the block and have some questions.

Does this look repairable? Also does engine oil normally run through this area? If there is not oil in this area i am thinking I can carefully repair the hole with JB weld. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jay

Attachments

• cracked piece.jpg
    cracked piece.jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 169
Anything is repairable at a cost. Keep a eye out on eBay for case half's be best option. DON'T JBweld it. :rolleyes:

i would say tranny/gear oil travels through there...?
i could be wrong however although that does look nasty
and a small problem turning into a much bigger problem in future
i usually dont have these problems and if i do i buy the correct parts:cool:

the left pic/case:)

blaster cases.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JediMind76
Thanks for the input. I see where that port lets in fluid. Hmmm. I was thinking about buying half the case and saw some on EBAY for about $100-$120 for half wondering what the labor cost would be to swap everything over or if its something I could take on myself. I have no experience taking apart small 2 stroke engines.

Whats the reason you suggest not JB welding this spot (MarkBlaster)?

Thanks for the input. Do you know if oil runs through this section? I was thinking about buying half the case and saw some on EBAY for about $100-$120 for half wondering what the labor cost would be to swap everything over or if its something I could take on myself. I have no experience taking apart small 2 stroke engines.

Whats the reason you suggest not JB welding this spot?

try it but anything in a tube or spray is temporarily.
also it pivots quite a bit hopefully you can successfully jb it withoiut it touching the internals:D

Try the repair.....If you have the missing piece to fit in there and go over it ?
use Quicksteel epoxy putty, not JB.
First use brake cleaner and a scotchpad to clean it the best you can
If fluid goes into that area, it's minimal.

Hey fellow riders,

I bought this 2006 blaster for cheap because the clutch was not engaging properly. From comparing the clutch arm to my brothers blaster I notice that the arm is not moving the full capacity on mine and has heavy resistance when attempting to move the arm to the right as much as possible. My brothers moves freely the full motion.There is a ball bearing that is suppose to go in between the two push rods that go through the engine from the clutch to the clutch arm. I read online that that is someone mistakenly puts that push rod in between the last push rod and the clutch arm then it can eventually melt and jam the clutch arm.

I was thinking this could be the problem. I purchased a cheap smart phone endoscope with an LED on the end and dropped it down to see the inside cylinder. There was what looked like extra metal inside the cylinder. I attempted to remove the extra metal with a drill bit and cracked the block! This seemed like a good idea at the time but definitely was not, the aluminum is very thin in this area. I attached a picture of the cracked portion of the block and have some questions.

Does this look repairable? Also does engine oil normally run through this area? If there is not oil in this area i am thinking I can carefully repair the hole with JB weld. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jay

Hey Jay! It could be repaired with allumiloly , if you still have the piece. That's the upside. Now the down side, it requires 970 degrees to melt allumilloly meaning splitting the cases and deep cleaning the side case. Then filling and re -drilling clutch arm cavity back to specs my advise, find a case halve!✌️Peace

Thanks for the input, today I went ahead and attempted the repair using Quicksteel epoxy putty after cleaning and scuffing the surface. I did have a large piece that came off, however the entire hole was not from one piece only. The majority was one piece and there were a couple small pieces which I did not end up using. I used a thin piece of aluminum I cut to fit over the remaining hole and then covered both with a couple light coats of the quicksteel. After deep inspection I see that there will not be almost any pressure against this area if any. No fluid can escape and I made sure no quicksteel went inside the cylinder. There are no clearance issues inside the clutch arm cylinder or outside with the sprocket.

My first time using quicksteel and I was definitely impressed. Thanks for the suggestion Awk08. I think this is going to work, we will see how it holds up with heat/time. Off to go rip some dirt! and I will keep an eye on it

Hey good luck with that repair. Awk knows a bunch of different ways to get outa tight spots. Peace ✌️