Blasty joys, headaches mixed with fun

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
First of last week Did another chop with the 280 and it was running lean, and noticed my air box lid had pulled up. since all of hte press is nuts had pulled out before we got it, you could really fasten it down well. So I said to hell with it and pitched it and slapped a 310 main in the carb. Took it out and had hella good time seemed to pull a little harder. I'm out rippin down the bottoms rode when my silencer comes loose again so I hobble on home and fix it up, but didn't ride anymore after that. So I go riding later in the week and it starts sounding funny WOT so I stop and it reved high so I went to adjust the idle screw and the carb cap was loose. So I tighten it up and it runs great, went home for the even all happy. Next day I finally do a chop with the 310 in it (ya I know I'm a baddie) and it pulled nicely through all 6 gears. Well instead of going home and cutting the plug, I figured i'm almost to the sand bar I'll go for a ride, lol carb cap came loose again, bollocks. when I get home I added a little loc-tite, plug chop came out lighter than I expected but still good, I'm not entirely sure that the carb cap wasn't slightly loose when I did the chop.

After fighting the carb cap, and wheel lugs coming loose friday and saturday, it was nice to go out sunday and beat around. Its the first time I acutally burned a full tank of fuel in one day, lol. I don't have much area to ride, and when you ride by yourself it does get kinda boring. I rode pretty much all afternoon blazing through the trails in the woods and playing around on the sand bar. I did figure out that playing in the sand get the blasty nice and hot. The was some other kids down there riding, one a a 350 raptor, also thought about asking for a drag, but I didn't. Yep thats a wall of text, and it makes me wanna go ride again, lol

Well instead of going home and cutting the plug, I figured i'm almost to the sand bar I'll go for a ride, lol carb cap came loose again, bollocks. when I get home I added a little loc-tite, plug chop came out lighter than I expected but still good, I'm not entirely sure that the carb cap wasn't slightly loose when I did the chop.

So do I hear you saying that you will do a plug chop to confirm jetting?

Probably not anytime soon. The plug chop came out good just not quite as rich as I was expecting, so if it was loose when I did the run then it was a slight leak and tightening it just makes it that much better. And it didn't sound like it was running to lean like it was when I figured out it was loose the first time.

OOO but this does remind me not all was well coming home, I forgot to ask, pretty sure its not from jetting, but I'm not to sure that its not sucking the fuel bowl dry. First noticed this problem on the way, but since I don't run 3/4-full throttle in 6th gear very often I didn't think much of it. It pulls nice and hard throw all 6 gears and even pulls hard top of 6th for about 1/2 a mile then it starts losing power, almost likes its not getting fuel. If you back down to 1/2 throttle or so then it runs just fine. So is it getting hot and losing power or do you think its running out of fuel? It runs fine any other time.

It may be the fuel flow or your jetting. It may still be running lean at WOT and is starting to run hot. Backing off richens the mix helping to cool it back down. The jetting may be good for on off throttle but is leaning out at 6th gear WOT. That demands lot of fuel flow.

OOO but this does remind me not all was well coming home, I forgot to ask, pretty sure its not from jetting, but I'm not to sure that its not sucking the fuel bowl dry. First noticed this problem on the way, but since I don't run 3/4-full throttle in 6th gear very often I didn't think much of it. It pulls nice and hard throw all 6 gears and even pulls hard top of 6th for about 1/2 a mile then it starts losing power, almost likes its not getting fuel. If you back down to 1/2 throttle or so then it runs just fine. So is it getting hot and losing power or do you think its running out of fuel? It runs fine any other time.

Do not hesitate in doing a plug chop, a slightly lean mix will make the motor seem to run extremly well, but will generate a great amount of heat to the piston crown.

You may be experiencing a slow sieze.

It sounds like the main is just a little too small.