air filter cleaning?

2k1blastr

Feb 2, 2012
tulsa ok
didnt see this posting anywhere..
cleaning the filter on this blaster first time since i bought the bike,not sure when the last cleaning was,anyone with advise on cleaning it without special cleaning soap or should i run down the road and get some?..i was just going to soak it in gas..ok?how long if in gas & do i need to soak it in little oil afterwards?
the damn thing is really sticky and has a blue color on the rim of the filter.

also ive been reading how i need to rejet with the fmf pipe and the boyesen power reeds,i dont know if the folks i bought the bike off of rejetted when they put the pipe on,said they did but i wanna be sure..

is there a way to identify the rejet upon disassembling the carb?

posting a pic off spark plug tip,after riding a couple of days,i think its a good color.anyone disagree?

Attachments

• air filter blaster.jpg
    air filter blaster.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 279
  • sparkplug in blaster.jpg
    sparkplug in blaster.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 237
that plug looks a little light colored to me for a couple days riding ?
surprised you haven't fried it yet from running it, then asking questions
do not run it again until the main jet is confirmed, should be at least a 270/280 for an fmf pipe

and yes, i clean my filter in a very quick dip in gas, to break up the oil, then a thorough washing with dawn original dishwashing liquid, allow to dry overnight, or at least a few hours in direct summer sunlight, then oil according to the foam filter oil directions on the can you choose

Just buy a new UNI air filter if the filter looks like that. Soaking it in gas would make it disintegrate. Pick up some no-toil air filter cleaner and oil.

The jetting should be around 270 with those mods, the number should be stamped on the jet either on the top of the side of the jet.

Search plug chop on this forum and preform that after you put a 270 jet in that carb.

do not run it again until the main jet is confirmed, should be at least a 270/280 for an fmf pipe

and yes, i clean my filter in a very quick dip in gas, to break up the oil, then a thorough washing with dawn original dishwashing liquid, allow to dry overnight, or at least a few hours in direct summer sunlight, then oil according to the foam filter oil directions on the can you choose

Thanks guys!

ok i took the bottom of the carb off(bowl) and looked at what i think is the main jet,the head of the screw is stamped with a 230.Is that a stock jet?

posting a pic just to be sure this is the right jet/screw.

the bike was running good when i parked it,i hope it hasnt suffered any damage.not running again till i replace the jet.

Attachments

• main jet blstr carb.jpg
    main jet blstr carb.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 230
yep, you got it! If you are running a FMF pipe that runs from the engine then you will need to rejet to that 270

Before you restart it, take the pipe off and get a look at the piston and rings, if there is any sings of scuffing or scoring, it might be good to take the top end off and do some work on it.

Maybee a piston and a hone!

Running a #230 main jet for any period of time, with your mods could have done some damage to the piston, the dirty air filter may have come to your rescue if it was impeding the air flow.

I think that needle is a dynojet needle,so with that 230 main jet,and brownish colored plug,air box lid on I wonder if its okay to run like it is.does this dynajet needle change the situatuon?i still need to take alook at the piston tho I guess.

How long and how hard did you ride since you bought the bike.

Pull the pipe of and get a look at the piston, as a #230 main is way too small for the FMF.

The needle would not change the situation much, if at all.

Ok,will do on the piston check.
After break- in ,ive prolly put 2-3 hrs total run time,some opened up pretty good,but not wide open sustained,theres a riding place down the road with some good dirt track n trails,so I gotta chance to have it opened up.(this motor did not come with the bike,i bought it as a complete rebuild for $800.00)