Air box delete & Custom intake thoughts???

Bman4Life

Jul 23, 2012
NY
Hey guys I just finished up my new intake setup I was running the stock airbox setup before but jetted with out the lid on.... I wanted to get rid of the air box as the previous owner cut out around it to be able to remove it without taking the rear plastic off at least that is the only reason I can think of but the cut looks like a 5 year old did it with a butter knife.

Anyways Here is the new setup I fabed up I was thinking about doing a pod filter right on the carb then I read about how hard it can be to tune and it can mess things up without some kind of pipe extension to the filter to act as a neck like stock to smooth the airflow coming in so I made my own its basically the same thing as what I have seen a lot of people do with a pod style setup. My question is how do you think it will run compared to the stock setup with the air box lid off?

531488_391852857542966_2023456776_n.jpg

You can see I kept the end part of the stock boot with the hanger its solid doesn't move around at all and the filter sits high up under the seat almost where it would stock in the air box and tapers from the carb to 2" at the filter. The filter is a dual stage amzoil cylinder style so it should flow better than stock and also a much better sealed system.

Thats about the only way I could make it with that size filter the 45 elbow puts it just up and between the frame and shock....... its tight but fits good its very solid piece the intake parts tapers so I cut it off at the end just enough to get it to fit tight over a union which made a perfect taper and so its solid not flexible like stock so it wont move around hitting bumps.

You can see how I kept the end piece with the hanger there is a pvc union inside the rubber part almost to the end I cut it just right to fit tight over the inner pvc and but up to the lip on the elbow.

I think it will hold up just fine pvc is pretty tuff and I glued everything I have done pvc custom intakes before may seem ghetto to some but it works its plastic its smooth and seals good and keeps heat out great for intakes. Its not hitting on anything so I dont see why it wont hold up just as good as anything...... only real difference is no air box to protect from water which is fine for me but I like that I have a cylinder style filter and its sealed much better from dust/dirt getting in than stock.

On reading Gordon Jennings Two Stroke Tuners Handbook, he favors the air filter to be directly mounted on the carby throat for maxiumum performance, but it does need an extra size or two on the main jet.

I found that removing the air box and doing the above my DMC went from #300 to #320 jet, with a slight increase of power.

After putting it on the quad the filter was too close to the shock so I added another 1" extension to it and now It has ample clearance around the shock I could of made it longer and turn up around it more but I didn't want to make it to heavy. You can see how the filter sits up under the seat just clears under neath....... its a big filter so didnt have much room to work with with the design.
319332_392179150843670_1081525920_n.jpg

563934_392179127510339_488257379_n.jpg

406249_392179017510350_1717792472_n.jpg

You know your jetting will be different than a stock airbox , even with the lid removed previously , As the stock intake boot is very curvy inside and now you have a direct flow instead of twists and turns , know plug chops ?

Its already jetted rich now for no air box lid and also no oil pump pre mix only....... thats why I made it with the same length and bend around the shock to get as close to how the stock tube was.

Yea if you look closer at how this is to the stock tube the length and bend is the same just doesn't pancake down at the end like it did at the air box connection.

Took it out for a test ride...... idles perfect no change in feel but it does fall on its face and hesitate/bog down only when its all the way wide open I can go anywhere else on the throttle and its no change from before only the last like 1/4" of throttle am I lean??? I would assume its getting more air with the setup.