86 lt250r opinions ?

mattsteibler26

Dec 8, 2011
hey i was looking into getting a 1986 lt250r. I was wondering if these thing could be ran on a tracked and raced competitivly. How do they jump and is the power good enough?

I would look into what's available for parts before I pulled the trigger. The 85-86 have a problem cracking the swinger, have to pull jug to change reeds X(
As mentioned could be competative with $$$

you should try to find a 87+, they have a bit more power and better suspension or even better a 91 or 92 with even better rear suspension. but theres nothin wrong with the 85/86 models. my LT handles amazing and flys nice, they can definitly be raced. 4cfed just beat a yfz450 with his 250 in a drag race with a mildy porsted cylinder. only downfall is the aftermarket isnt very big, sometimes parts can be hard to find.

i would also like to add this is the wrong section for this thread, shoulda been in the suzuki section

The 85 and 86 LT's were the least powerful of the LT's. I should really say, the least rounded.... They can put out TONS of power but like a blaster, with no powervalve, that power is a tradeoff. If you tune it for top end, you sacrifice all bottom....

The "full floater" rear suspension is kind of a little bit of an enigma.... They're not a terrible design, just odd..

Also, the front shock choice is kind of limited because Suzuki decided to use a really thin upper shock mounts. There are few choices for real upgrades for length (LT setups) so most stick with +2" a-arms at most and stock length shocks.

As Larry's Shee mentioned, the 85-86 LT's had a relatively cheesy thin swingarm setup that was known for cracking (mostly under MX conditions)

Get a banshee faster out of the box and tons of aftermarket support.

Ive ran a few 250R's on my shee one being a honda and the other a suzi and theyre not that bad ass.

like other's mentioned, i'd try to find a 87+ LT

the 1987 engine had the Big Reed intakes and made tons of power, get the Dr.Q or AAEN 250 pipe and it will be a hell of a ride!

suzuki ftw

Get a banshee faster out of the box and tons of aftermarket support.

Ive ran a few 250R's on my shee one being a honda and the other a suzi and theyre not that bad ass.

i like my 250r 100x times more then my banshee. way more fun to ride.

its all opinion though, you like to go faster in straight line, i like to ride faster in tighter trails and tracks.

Last edited:
Put a newer rear swinger on the 85-6 +2 arms and decent shocks.. and a good pipe and you will ne surprised.. there a vid of a 86 stompin a 450 in the sand on YouTube.. just sayin :) you can get a 87+ motor and put it in later on.. iv owned a banshee.and mx ready 400ex.. my current lt is wayyy more fun..

Lt has more low end grunt than a banshee.. banshees need 2-1 carb and 2-1 pipe to get the lt low end :) parts are out there just got to hunt a bit.. lts are making a comeback if you havent noticed..

My lt is a hoot the way its set up.. 3rd n 4th gear pn grass/ hard pack i can snap the clutch n roost all the way threw the gears.. 4th n 5th a tug ofnthe bars when it hits the pipe send the front end in the air.. ajd im still jetted for 20 degree weather.. i bet i got a good 6-10 hp in it just on jetting yet.. well find out this weekend :D