400ex Shock adjustment issues

508blaster

Oct 20, 2015
Hey fellas I'm having a hell of a time with my 400ex shock on the blaster , it rebounds hard and it seems like adjusting in it will not work any help or tips will be great

are you adjusting the correct screw ?
rebound is the bottom screw on the swingarm mount, compression is the top screw.

rebound = clockwise slows it down and counterclockwise speeds it up.

Make sure your spring prelaod isn't too stiff too, some people crank up the spring to keep it from bottoming but that should only be a comp damp adjustment, the spring should have some significant sag when you sit on it, 30% of its travel

copied from another site:

See http://off-road.com/atv/suspension/shockadj.htm

This is a good article on shock adjustment. First be sure your preload sag is correct- 30% rear and 20% front Everything else depends on the proper preload!! The rear is damped for both compression and rebound (see your onwers manual). If you are getting bucked off, it could be EITHER to FAST or SLOW rebound. My sugestion would be to set your rebound full FAST, and go out and (carefully!) ride some whoops. Gradually increase the damping until you like the results. If you go to far (SLOW), the bike will begin to buck again. Then back it off enough to make it ride the way you like.

are you adjusting the correct screw ?
rebound is the bottom screw on the swingarm mount, compression is the top screw
Yea I adjust it doesn't seem to change anything it's weird it was fine the first time I took it out now it's popping up when you press down really fast it doesn't seem like it's leaking or anything

Yea I adjust it doesn't seem to change anything it's weird it was fine the first time I took it out now it's popping up when you press down really fast it doesn't seem like it's leaking or anything

I've edited that above post while you were replying.
re-read above post, about too much spring preload
wierd that it was OK, now not.
big temp change ?

I've edited that above post while you were replying.
re-read above post, about too much spring preload
wierd that it was OK, now not.
big temp change ?
Ehhh maybe 20 degrees if i pressed down the back of the bike slow it real eases pretty slow but if I press down fast it pops up up fast

So I rode it seems fine maybe I'm being too critical lol it's happen before now I'm wondering how adjusting the rings above the spring itself will change the ride

So I rode it seems fine maybe I'm being too critical lol it's happen before now I'm wondering how adjusting the rings above the spring itself will change the ride

sag.......it's not just for pants in the hood :)

set the "rings above the spring" so when you sit on the bike the ass end sags 2-3 inches, same for the front.
measure up off the floor to a specific spot, then remeasure while sitting on it.

Reactions: 508blaster