2001 Yamaha Blaster turned into Go kart Buggy

bmxanrchy127

Oct 17, 2012
Hi guys im currently building a go kart yamaha blaster. I had the go kart when i was younger with a 6hp horizontal shaft drive motor but then my buddy gave me a working 2001 yamaha blaster for free. It ran and everything and already had the oil block off kit but it needed some parts to make it a full working quad. I ordered the parts but never had time to put them on because i thought of putting the go kart and the blaster into one. So now i currently have a blaster powered go kart. The reason i am starting this thread is to kind of just show off my build and my progress. Maybe acquire some more insight along the way on things to do/not do, mods, anything, and also to see if maybe my project will help out other people on theirs. I will do my best to keep it updated and add photos of my progression. So i started with a manco dingo go kart. and a yamaha blaster and put them together. I started this project 2 years ago but then pushed it aside to deal with my other projects but this year i have done more work to it and am determined to get it fully finished. It will have front and back shocks, brakes, lightbars, everything. It will be sweet. Here is a photo album on photobucket of the current progress and state. It is currently running and driving but needs some tuning. This weekend i will be going and getting cables for throttle and clutch and get a new air filter because the stock filter setup will not work since i no longer have the rear part of the frame to hang the airfilter. If anyone has any questions let me know or any criticism let me know. Again this is a project and not done yet so any insight will be helpful. Thanks!

http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/bmxanrchy127/library/Manco%20Dingo%20285%20Build

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 502
  • photo45.jpg
    photo45.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,169
  • photo46.jpg
    photo46.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 822
  • photo47.jpg
    photo47.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 942
  • photo48.jpg
    photo48.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 637
Seems like an ambitious project. Looks like starting it may be and adventure as well as shifting gears. Good luck and keep us updated.

Im currently working on a new rollcage and mocking up the front suspension. I uploaded a new video of it ripping around and drifting it around. Can someone please get me a measurment of the distance between the top and the bottom a arm mounts and then the distance from the top a arm mount to the top shock mount? That would be greatly appreciated because then i can mount up the shocks. Thanks in advanced!

Currently building the left side lower a arm Mount.

Attachments

• 1399563488186.jpg
    1399563488186.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 444
Front suspension is done and built. Starting to look pretty sweet, pretty pumped to see the way it turns out. Hoping to having it done for this weekend probably sunday.

Attachments

• 20140508_134133.jpg
    20140508_134133.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 20140511_194308.jpg
    20140511_194308.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 479
Does anyone know if a 12v 4ah Battery will be large enough to power a 36watt 8 inch light bar? I want to get a battery and regulator/rectifier on my blaster so my go kart will have an 8 inch lightbar on it for riding at night. On top of the rectifier and battery I will also float the ground on my blaster so I can charge the battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-15-11-02-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-11-02-58.png
    256.7 KB · Views: 384
If the battery is to be used as a buffer when the engine is running, the alternator will produce all the power needed to handle a 36watt load.

The stock stator coil will allow you to draw 55watts, which is ample to power the light bar and add some charge to the battery.

Depending on how long you want the light for when the engine is at idle determines the size of the battery.

i looks good. keep up the good work. wordof advice though, you will want to angle the front shocks in at the top about 4 inches give or take. as they sit, you will have a stiff ride and not much shock compression. just my 2 cents