1991 first time rebuild

cloverlane

Mar 17, 2014
southeast michigan
Brand new to the forum ive referenced here too many times to count and finally joined tonight. Bought a 91 blaster last fall for 400 bucks from a buddy. He blew the top end and took the cylinder off jammed a rag around the crank n let it sit outside uncovered for almost a year before I got to it. The bottom was froze up needless to say and one piston skirt broke off in the cylinder (clean break) half ass black paint job on the frame and on the blue plastics. In other words it was terrible. But im now in the process of putting it all back together and wanted to share what ive done to it and hear what people have to say and give any knowledge I can to anyone here and learn ofcourse.any ways sanded all plastics down sprayed all of them with black plasti dip (looks great) sprayed the front rims and frame in satin rustoleum. Bramd new wisecocrank shaft, bearings, seals, had top end professionally bored with new piston and rings I also got all new hardware for the case and top end. New boyeson power reeds fmf fatty pipe. Q series fmf muffler. New sprockets and chain. New drum brakes up front & a few other things im sure I forgot to mention but dont want to ramble more than I already have I will upload pics if its possible from my phone

Here we go

20140317_035047-jpg.9052

20140317_035226-jpg.9053

20140317_010948-jpg.9055

20140317_011317-jpg.9056

Attachments

• 20140317_035047.jpg
    20140317_035047.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 20140317_035226.jpg
    20140317_035226.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 268
  • 20140317_010948.jpg
    20140317_010948.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 20140317_011317.jpg
    20140317_011317.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 288
Last edited by a moderator:
looks good man.

choose "full size" next time while uploading and the pics will show full, instead of just a clickable thumbnail

Reactions: cloverlane
I just assembled the motor yesterday sunday is my only day off because I work at chrysler lol. First time putting a motor together myself everything went good with a simple understanding of a 2 stroke motor and a clymer manual. The ignition coil is shot the tip of an old spark plug was stuck in the cap and was not salvagable and the air filter was shot also so I order a k&n filter and vents for the airbox along with plenty of jets so I can get the jetting right now that I have all of these upgrades on it and the carb is set all stock. Im thinking of starting at a 290 main and moving the needle to the middle postion to startafter the air filter and ignition coil come in which is the only thing im waiting on the warm weather is only about a week out here in michigan

i see a pipe in them first pics, that + the K&N in this cooler weather may require a little more ?
maybe start in the low 300's and work down on jetting.
and yes, needle on the middle clip for most blasters

Warm weather a week out :confused: , we only wish.

Don't forget to do a leakdown test !!

X-2 on jetting. I'd start with 320 and work down. It won't be that warm next week :rolleyes:
Plugs are cheaper than pistons.

Two strokes are more weather and mod sensitive than 4jokes. Always start fat and work down

Welcome.I was wondering what a black frame would look like , nice . I too used that paint on the nose of my Blaster so far so good supposed to be good to 200 degrees and waterproof too.

A black frame would look black, bear in mind though black comes in 3 different shades, black, black and black. :D:D:D. Just could not resist.:D:D:D

As a matter of interest, what paint is not waterproof?

A black frame would look black, bear in mind though black comes in 3 different shades, black, black and black. :D:D:D. Just could not resist.:D:D:D

As a matter of interest, what paint is not waterproof?

black
gloss black
satin black

apparently 50 shades of gray though??

watercolor paint duh :p the elementary kind :D

:D. Just could not resist.:D:D:D

As a matter of interest, what paint is not waterproof?[/QUOTE]
Black :D its a rubber-like soft paint, can fill small cracks/ holes too.

looking good. its also to see a few more Michigan boys on here. im sure ill see one of ya in the trails. nice bike in the background.