1987 Lt250r

good luck finding a pipe other than DG.. the front suspension has less travel then a blaster im pretty sure. the rear pattern is some bastard size so you'll wanna find a set of 87 5 lug hubs OR.. a set of aftermarket honda or yamaha pattern hubs. adn the old non PV style are nowhere near as quick as teh 87-92 style.. killer deal at $500? maybe..... depends on the condituion when you get there.. check the compression and do a leak down test... if you gotta dig deep into that engine it will get pricey..

$500 is a decent deal... my GF's dad just bought a REALLY nice looking 86 for $1200.. his needs some engine work though... if i wasnt; hooking him up with a killer deal on teh labor he woudl have wasted his $$.. his has a pipe, brand new plastic, and some other goodies.. so take that as a comparision..

if he told you he could fly would you beleive that? i've made alot of $$ fixing these "fresh topends" that buyers claim.. and if this was just rebuilt even more reason to do a leakdown test. most people think that just because it's got new gaskets it's sealed up... NOT THE CASE... check it out very carefully.. rememeber it's a 24 year old quad.. and was the a top and bottom end rebuild or did somebody toss some rings in and calls that rebuilt?

Reactions: sillykid
ya look it over real good since it sounds like he gave you some false facts about it. (not you 370 the guy that sold it to him)

yeah he didn't even know what year it was..... or he's trying to fool someone who doenst; know anybetter into thinking it's the better model..

Worst case scenario I learned ALOT from this thread already. I will admit I very little about these except the older ones didnt have the powervalve, I have been looking for a Banshee but the older hondas and suzukis are sparking up a nasty interest with me! That one looks like it will clean up fairly easy and the plastics look to be just faded. Not to bad at all I wouldnt think, I see them go on craigslist for alot more in ALOT worse condition, even the older ones like this one.

i knew as soon as i saw it that it was an 85-86. another way to tell is the 85-86 engines are gray, the later models are blue. but lots of guys change engine color sometimes...anyways....if you do a leakdown test, dont be surprised if you see it leaking from the case halves, where they meet. if thats teh case, plan on spending some cash. new seals, top end kit, full gasket kit, crank bearings....your looking to spend $500 on teh quad, then another probly 3-400 in parts to fix it....so now you have around say 800 bucks into it....worth it? up to you.

damn i wish i woulda caught that b4 370 did, hahha

Couple things that will help you out. LTZ/KFX/DVX 400 Sprocket hub and sprockets will work on your quad, as well as LTZ/KFX/DVX400 Rear hubs so it will be easier to find rear wheels. I recommend changing the sprocket hub as the QuadRacer ones are aluminum and the holes stretch allowing the bolts to back out. Also 13/41 gearing is a good combo for those quads.

ltz rear hubs will nto fit that quad.. they only fit the 88-92 lt250's and all years of quadzilla.. they have the 26 spline hubs.. 85-87 lt250's have a 24 spline axles so teh LTZ hubs don;t fit BUT an 88-92 axe will fit into any 85-87 LT250R... the ltz/kfx/dvx rear hubs are 4x110 pattern. same as all hondas.. very common pattern.. some company make the front hubs in yamaha/kawi pattern (4x156) for the front of the lt250's also..

ltz rear hubs will nto fit that quad.. they only fit the 88-92 lt250's and all years of quadzilla.. they have the 26 spline hubs.. 85-87 lt250's have a 24 spline axles so teh LTZ hubs don;t fit BUT an 88-92 axe will fit into any 85-87 LT250R... the ltz/kfx/dvx rear hubs are 4x110 pattern. same as all hondas.. very common pattern.. some company make the front hubs in yamaha/kawi pattern (4x156) for the front of the lt250's also..

IF its a late 87 it has the 26 Spline axle.

I dont know the cut off. But 87 is known widely as "the bastard year". Thats when they made all the changes. 1st year for the T shaped seat, only year with 2 piece front fenders, first year for the square carrier I believe too. "Early 87's" had the 5 spd non PV engine, "Late 87's" got the 6spd PV engine. Even later ones had the 26 spline axle. I did a sh*t ton and a half of research when I had my 89 because I loved it so much. I really REALLY miss it....

i know for a fact that there were powervavled 87 LT's with a 24 spline axle.. i owned one.. and in fact still have a couple sets of hubs here from it. those 24 spline hubs fit a banshee... and i ran them on my oval track banshee since all my oval tires were on 5 lug wheels..

i know for a fact that there were powervavled 87 LT's with a 24 spline axle.. i owned one.. and in fact still have a couple sets of hubs here from it. those 24 spline hubs fit a banshee... and i ran them on my oval track banshee since all my oval tires were on 5 lug wheels..

I dont doubt it.

actaully i was mistaken.... i forgot my old 87 had a durablue axle BUT.. it was a 24 spline axle and used 5 lug hubs

I dont know the cut off. But 87 is known widely as "the bastard year". Thats when they made all the changes. 1st year for the T shaped seat, only year with 2 piece front fenders, first year for the square carrier I believe too. "Early 87's" had the 5 spd non PV engine, "Late 87's" got the 6spd PV engine. Even later ones had the 26 spline axle. I did a sh*t ton and a half of research when I had my 89 because I loved it so much. I really REALLY miss it....
you forgot that the cylinder was completely different.....also it's said to be the fastest year for the LT250R also....