04 Blaster issue

04BLACK240

Dec 4, 2013
Ok so ive been on here awhile and decided to join. This is my second blaster and im pretty good with them but I have this problem. It boggs down after about 3 seconds when I have it floored, and it only does it in 5th or 6th gear. It idles and drives fine but just when its pinned it acts up. My mods are twin air air filter, pro circuit full exhaust, v force 4 reeds, protect boost bottle, uni airbox vents (6), tors delete, parking brake delete, oil injection block off-premix 32:1 yamalube. It has stock carb on it, float is set at the right height, no gas comes out the overflow anymore (I had fixed the leak from it). So I bought a genuine mikuni carb jets. I started at a 320 in there now and my problem started, but with the stock 230 it runs great. I don't get it. Did a plug chop, turned out great looking. So im lost if anyone has suggestions. Thanks.

I also have a vitos +4 degree key but Im not going to install until I have got this problem solved.

plug chop comes up great on what jet size? Temp and elevation will help. You may be a little rich. Or restricted fuel flow. Needle n seat sticking, bad fuel filter if u have one, petcock dirty, fuel cap vent hose cloged,.dirty carb needing to be cleaned. ? Also can you post pics of the plug chop?

Last edited:
If you still have the lid on the airbox check to see if the inlet snorkel is not obstructed, I have seen cleaning rags sucked in there.

Do you oil the air filter if so with what oil?

If it runs well on a #230 and returns a good plug, but falters with a #320 something is making it too rich.

Blocked intake, float level wrong, filthy air filter or the wrong oil, flooding for some reason or other.

I have also replaced a lot of other things such as fuel petcock, hose, cleaned carb and got my float level right. It had no airbox lid on it when I bought it and it ran bad, so I bought new airbox lid with snorkel and drilled to put the vents in. So everything is fairly new. When I bought the air filter(twin air) I did not oil it I just put it on the bike. Im just kind of lost, I might try the next size down and go from there. If I need to oil the air filter, what type of oil do I need to use. Ive never seen a air filter not oiled cause it to run bad. But im probably wrong lol.

I also have a stock gas cap (original) with a shorty blue vent line/cap.

try removing that shorty w/cap, they've been know to be/go bad and not vent properly
the stock cap actually has the one way valve built in, that could also be stuck closed.
maybe try running it with the whole cap loose to see if it makes a difference

Using a foam air filter without oil can make a difference of many jet sizes depending on what oil you choose to use.

The Twin air filter should have come pre oiled, but I have known some filters come dry.

Feel the filter to see if it is a little sticky.