Z400 or 400ex

Blaster401

Oct 26, 2012
I have the chance to trade my 400ex that has a hmf slip hot cam but I can trade it it for a z400 that has a 440 kit on it which one would be better for gncc racing and could I race a z440

whats the other persons reason for trading down ???
bet there is one....i'd pass

whats the other persons reason for trading down ???
bet there is one....i'd pass

Second that or atleast look it over real good, thats not a reasonable trade unless there is a repair bill he doesnt want to pay.

I have the chance to trade my 400ex that has a hmf slip hot cam but I can trade it it for a z400 that has a 440 kit on it which one would be better for gncc racing and could I race a z440

It's pretty strait forward. The Z440 will be faster. Its liquid cooled and bored out. Now, considering its bored out, is a good hint the engine was blown up, unless the rider simply wanted to dump a bunch of cash into it to make it faster. If its been blown up, it means it wasnt taken care of or was just ridden hard. I would stick with the 400ex. Much more reliable.

If you want more power out of the 400ex without major engine work, id suggest gear changing, and consider a different carb. Maybe a 450r carb. Either way, Check out exriders forums.

400ex is wayyy batter in my opinion, yea you can have a 440 kit and crap but it seems like once you take apart a 4-stroke and redo it all like putting a 440 kit in its never the same, my dad has a 400ex and it doesent die it goes and goes

2smoke or 4choke, the closer you get to the "limit" the less it will take. All things equal I'd bet a bone stock Blaster (insert any other machine) would probably go at least 2X as long as one making 2X the power. Thats why funny cars are rebuilt after 4 hard seconds.

Plus with the "slipper" style pistons they start cocking in the bore with far less wear than a full skirt piston. Another advantage of a smoker.

You would have to check it VERY CLOSELY not just the engine but suspension also. Was the Z used for racing? Maybe ask for some $$$ on top of it. ($500?)

400ex is wayyy batter in my opinion, yea you can have a 440 kit and crap but it seems like once you take apart a 4-stroke and redo it all like putting a 440 kit in its never the same, my dad has a 400ex and it doesent die it goes and goes

this is what ive heard also.

if yours has a hmf with a hot cam, id rock out with it. when its time for a rebuild do a simple over bore and higher comp piston.

nothing like trading a good running machine for something with problems, even if its an upgrade.

reliability is king in motorsports.

also if i recall theres not many bores left on a 440. so at some point the cyclinder will need to be replaced/honed etc.

stratton.

Reactions: 89blaster89