yz250 swap q's

myusername

Jun 9, 2010
Marysville, Ohio
there is a yz250, it looks to be like a late 90's model chained to a tree for sale by my girlfriends house. it has been there for several weeks, on a less-traveled road. they want $600 for it. while taking a shower this morning, a few thoughts came into my mind.

if i payed $600 for a yz in clean shape, do you guys think i could get any of that back by reselling unused parts in a swap?
I don't have a money tree.

I see that most have issues with vibrations on this swap. is there any way to use polyurethane bushings, or rubber bushings to isolate this problem?

I was thinking possibly making a plate that went under the engine, out of like 1/4" steel. something like a skid plate off of a dirt bike that would bolt into the bottom and wrap around to the front mounting points on the engine. then, there would be one central point on that plate where i would make a mounting point to the frame, and possibly isolate it with poly bushings. its hard to explain, but i have a clear picture in my head. any thoughts?

I went the poly route with my planned engine swap, I never finished it due to buying another quad, but you have to make sure to get pretty stiff bushings to ensure the engine doesn't have too much movement.

I feel like it would dampen the vibrations SOME but not as much as expected.

I am not sure how much money you would get parting out the rest of the YZ as there are so many of them and the older ones seem to be a dime-a-dozen on ebay as far as parts go.

i'm not too worried about money. if i went the route of the swap, i have a running blaster motor and a f7 pipe and such that i can sell to recoup some of my money. i assume for $600 around here, it must have a blown top end or something. the bike is clean. i would buy it to fix and ride, but i'm 5'6" and 130lbs. physically, it would be very hard for me to ride a bike of that size. i am also thinking about buying it to fix and resell. again, i have no knowledge of the bike, i have not talked to the people about it. i just know they want $600obo for it and it has been there for a while. it can't be in mint shape motor wise. they go for $1500 around here all day long

you could definitely inquire about it. Worst you could do is find out it needs a new engine and you walk away.

Personally, I'd build the blaster engine. I am in the unique position of already having a YZ250 engine... I have an '89 YZ 250 engine sitting on the shelf in my garage and a Pro circuit headpipe for it. It's still just sitting up there..... I am starting to think I'm not going to put it in a blasty frame, I like the simplicity of the blaster engine. Granted it's not the most powerful thing in stock form but it can really be made to pump out some HP's with enough work and it's STILL simple.

Some things to think about. The YZ's power is up in the powerband. Maybe ok if you ride hard all the time. Not user friendly for cruising around or trail riding. A bigger drawback than the vibration is the dirt bike gearbox. The Blaster gearbox is great with a really low 1st for creepin around and a overdrive 6th. I use 2 sprocket sets on the YZ, 1 for trails & 1 for dunes. The yz gearbox is not really practical for a multipurpose atv. A water pump & power valve are the only things that might be more complicated than a blaster but that's no big deal. If you want a good reliable blaster motor you can't beat the one that comes in it. :) Just my opinion

Actually the "easy" I was referring to wasn't the internals to the engine but rather life span and parts interchangability.

Parts from a 2006 model engine can be bolted onto a 1988 quad. Same pistons, same sleeves, same wrist pins, same bore, same stroke, same crank, same cases, same clutches, same head.... The only difference is the stator and that can be hot swapped, no mods necessary!

Although, on my utility quads I have had some issues with the water pump and related bearings. They have a life on them.... and once they're done, they're done!

i think i'm going to go get the number off the sign and give them a call tonight or tomorrow. its been there for a few weeks now. mostly i just ride open fields and light mx track. i like the idea of a yz250 swap, but i dont like the idea of cutting and welding the frame, the vibrations, the fact that its a dirt bike engine in a quad. i dont ride as much as most of you do, so i believe that a nice port job on the blaster and a few other bolt on parts will make it perform as good or better than i want it too.

My drz was tall, but it was easy for me to drop a foot when i had to stop. the seat height was 35". anybody know the seat height of a yz250? i think its closer to 40". maybe i could lower the suspension down and still be able to enjoy riding it in open fields... i wont be dropping my feet all the time so it may not be a huge issue.

i think i'm going to go get the number off the sign and give them a call tonight or tomorrow. its been there for a few weeks now. mostly i just ride open fields and light mx track. i like the idea of a yz250 swap, but i dont like the idea of cutting and welding the frame, the vibrations, the fact that its a dirt bike engine in a quad. i dont ride as much as most of you do, so i believe that a nice port job on the blaster and a few other bolt on parts will make it perform as good or better than i want it too.

My drz was tall, but it was easy for me to drop a foot when i had to stop. the seat height was 35". anybody know the seat height of a yz250? i think its closer to 40". maybe i could lower the suspension down and still be able to enjoy riding it in open fields... i wont be dropping my feet all the time so it may not be a huge issue.

the only time i can even tell mine is vibrating is when im sitting still revving it up or something like that. when im riding i cant tell the difference than any other wheeler ive rode. it will vibrate any nut or bolt thats not tight loose tho. the blaster motor is gonna need some serious work to get where the yz will be in stock form. mine has a light port and is no slouch, not to brag but i dont think there is gonna be a "TRAIL" blaster that will stay close to me. id say swap it but thats just me.

the only time i can even tell mine is vibrating is when im sitting still revving it up or something like that. when im riding i cant tell the difference than any other wheeler ive rode. it will vibrate any nut or bolt thats not tight loose tho. the blaster motor is gonna need some serious work to get where the yz will be in stock form. mine has a light port and is no slouch, not to brag but i dont think there is gonna be a "TRAIL" blaster that will stay close to me. id say swap it but thats just me.

Your probably right how much power do they make stock? also its ridings but with your wide a arms and nefs and all not a total trail bike.

Your probably right how much power do they make stock? also its ridings but with your wide a arms and nefs and all not a total trail bike.

most sites ive seen say they make somewhere around 48 hp stock but i have no clue on where mine is at. the wide arms and nerfs dont make it any faster :p but it does handle better ;).

most sites ive seen say they make somewhere around 48 hp stock but i have no clue on where mine is at. the wide arms and nerfs dont make it any faster :p but it does handle better ;).

Ooo ya it would be difficult to get a trail blaster up there. But wide a arms dont always help in trails ive gone through sh*t tthat will rubb both tires on the front or been not even a inch from. IN the open you will be gone but no need for a ton of power in tight trails just enough to bust the tires loose and enough tourque to not bog and hills etc...