yz250 head on blaster

riot7012

Jun 8, 2008
will an air cooled yz250 head fit on a blaster motor, piston and all? its a 70 some model yz250 air cooled, ideas are appreciated

No but if you want to liquid cool your Blaster look into a DT200 motor. They are the same motor design.

Brandoz28 has a great link to a Blaster converted to a DT200 liquid cooled top end..

Ive always called the whole top end the head, but the main top part where the spark plug goes, it will bolt up to a blaster, i was just wondering if the whole cylinder would bolt to it, if so i was going to get the head shaved because im sure a yz250 has a longer crank

hmmmmmmmm give it a try and let us know how it goes.....that could be a cool idea for another big bore kit maybe, what is the bore size on that thing?

I couldnt tell ya, i bought 3 yz250 motors and a frame 2 years ago for 50 bucks, then gave it to my cousin, i got it all back the other day because im about to go trade it all for a blaster frame, but if the head will work on a blaster then im going to keep 1 head and go buy a blaster motor for 100 bucks

i don't think anyone has tried it......but my gears are turning now....

these are still air cooled right?

yes they are air cooled, they are like a 78 model, i think its like the first year they started making the yz250

ok.....how many studs are there for the base of the jug? can you measure them center to center? i'll measure mine since its apart....

WEll, 1st, theres nothing you could do to a yz 250 head tha you can't do to a blaster head. The only benefit would be if it had more surface area on the cooling fins. I do remember somebody putting one of the old porcupine 250r air cooled aftermarket heads on a blaster in 88 or 89. this would provde somewhat better cooling, but I havent seen one of those heads in years. True the head is a major aspect of cooling, but the real culprit in an aircooled 2stroke motor is the thermal expansion of the cylinder.

The piston is a pretty good size bigger than a 4 over blaster piston, and just think of how much of a bigger piston u can get in the yz when its bored

ok.............looks like its 70mm bore x 64mm stroke......so in a stock blaster motor it'll be about 220cc's. i wonder what the port timing would look like......i'm intrigued because it'd be an interesting project

yeah i looked around a little bit and the ports are HUGE. it'd be really interesting to see how one would run on a blaster bottome end...but i'd probably just swap in the whole engine if i had it available

ok.............looks like its 70mm bore x 64mm stroke......so in a stock blaster motor it'll be about 220cc's. i wonder what the port timing would look like......i'm intrigued because it'd be an interesting project

Well, your definitly not going to get a +7mm stroke blaster crank, then there is rod location on the piston, so your going to be cutting the cylinder down and maybe using a different rod plus a 4mm crank, then trying to get the porting right, then having a pipe made... you can do a lot to a blaster motor for the dollars its going to take to get that figured out.