yz 490 difficulty?

This is a 1988 Yamaha Blaster frame with a 1986 YZ 490 motor stuffed into it. This is basically a brand new machine. I have put approx 200 hours into this rebuild

200 hours, can't be real easy:eek: and it's not, that ad has been up for quite some time. Unless you are a real good fabricator, welder, have good knowledge of how an expansion chamber works so you can modify one, I wouldn't try it. There are several 465/490 blasters on here, Paulie B, and Beasty Blaster come to mind, try PMing them to get their take on it if they don't post.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but would hate to see a Blaster and a 490 get trashed.

This is a 1988 Yamaha Blaster frame with a 1986 YZ 490 motor stuffed into it. This is basically a brand new machine. I have put approx 200 hours into this rebuild

200 hours, can't be real easy:eek: and it's not, that ad has been up for quite some time. Unless you are a real good fabricator, welder, have good knowledge of how an expansion chamber works so you can modify one, I wouldn't try it. There are several 465/490 blasters on here, Paulie B, and Beasty Blaster come to mind, try PMing them to get their take on it if they don't post.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but would hate to see a Blaster and a 490 get trashed.

yea i second that, i wouldint attempt it for awhile and i wouldint do it without my grandpas help, hes been welding since he was around 11

Motorcycle engines without counterbalance shafts don’t bode well in quads. The biggest problem is going to be vibration. The forks on a dirt bike act as vibration dampeners and soak up a big part of the vibration. Take that same engine and put it into a quad and it will rattle the fillings out of your molars. This is why quads have counterbalance shafts. Quads don’t have forks. They have shocks that aren’t built to minimize vibration. The vibration of the engine will lead to several problems down the road. Bolts will vibrate out, engine mounts will break, engine performance and reliability will suffer. The next problem you’re going to run into is a pipe. You’ll have your work cut out for you manufacturing something that fits AND delivers performance. Another problem you’ll encounter is rider endurance. After a few minutes of your arms soaking up the vibration of the engine (they just became half ass shocks) you’ll have too much arm pump to hold onto the bars. Form follows function my friend. Can it be done? Yup. Is it worth it? I don’t believe it is. Consider the time, cost, and the end result and decide for yourself. Blaster engines can be built to perform very well at a fraction of the cost without the headaches of installing an open class engine.